Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Head of Quality
To provide hands-on quality engineering expertise to ensure our products and services meet customer requirements. To facilitate, train and support the business in the deployment of Sonardyne’s Quality Strategy and improvement initiatives. To ensure the integrity of Sonardyne’s Quality Management System is maintained.
- 1. Collaborate with Sonardyne’s customers’, quality and engineering personnel to determine critical part features and review manufacturability of design. Make recommendations to modify customer part specifications and tolerances as necessary to support cost effective production.
- 2. Provide quality engineering support to operations ensuring consistent application of quality techniques.
- 3. Resolve quality issues of capability, tolerancing, and materials related issues.
- 4. Resolve quality issues by identifying problems, examining solution options, implementing action plans, and providing resources.
- 5. Effectively communicate and reinforce Sonardyne’s commitment to quality improvement efforts.
- 6. Develop and submit Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) documents for new product launches to meet customer requirements.
- 7. Determine when and how to apply appropriate statistical techniques to support the development and improvement of production processes.
- 8. Participate in the Advanced Product Quality Planning activities to determine appropriate use of existing and new measurement systems during new tool or process design and start up.
- 9. Coordinate pre-launch production trial run process monitoring in conjunction with the New Product Introduction (NPI) team.
- 10. Participate in the development of a Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) programme.
- 11. Maintain Control Plans and FMEA’s throughout the life of the product.
- 12. Facilitate and promote use of appropriate problem solving techniques for effective root cause analysis and effective corrective action.
- 13. Perform duties in accordance with quality system requirements as the voice of Sonardyne’s customers.
- 14. Coordinate with Sales, Purchasing, Engineering, Production, and Toolroom to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- 15. Determine and apply appropriate Measurement System Analysis tools.
- 16. Recommend and implement enhancements to the quality system that result in improved quality performance, increased customer satisfaction, and/or simplification of processes to reduce costs.
- 17. Support Sonardyne’s readiness for all internal and external quality audits.
- 18. Perform internal and supplier audits as required and provide ongoing communication/reporting of results.
- 19. Participate in quality reporting and management review process.
- 20. Manage quality metrics and present findings and recommendations to the management review team.
- 21. Actively support the development and improvement of Sonardyne’s Quality Management System.
core cOMPANY-WIDE rEsponsibilities
- 1. To promote a ‘safety-first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with Customer and Sonardyne Company policies, procedures and practices relating to Occupational Health & Safety and Environment, including completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, undertaking training and communication re safe working instructions, incident investigations etc. and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health and safety, or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To actively contribute to the Company’s continuous improvement process through presentation of corrective actions, suggestions or initiatives focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, customer satisfaction and employee morale throughout Sonardyne.
3. To keep up-to-date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
4. To establish, maintain and promote effective working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning and a collaborative working style.
5. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures, including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, ISO-QMS, Financial, Commercial and Operational.
6. To maintain technical and professional job competencies (qualifications, knowledge and personal skills) through continuous development activities including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional networks, literature reviews etc.
Dimensions of the role:
Staff Responsibility: None
Budget Responsibility: None
Product Coverage: Complete range of Sonardyne product portfolio
Travel Requirements: Some travel away from Blackbushe work base to suppliers, training and other Sonardyne sites in the UK. Approx 2-3 days per month
Internal Company Interfaces: Production, Engineering, Sales Admin, Machine Shop, Repairs, and all Departments to fulfil Internal Audit responsibilities
External Interfaces: Suppliers, Calibration Contractor, External customers, Company Auditors, Customer Auditors etc
Bachelor degree in Engineering, prefer Manufacturing, Electrical or Mechanical
Member of the CQI
Lead Auditor Certified – preferred but not essential
IT literate, proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Awareness of or experience with SharePoint would be ideal, but not essential
Practical knowledge of IPC Standards
Experience managing a certified quality management system ISO/ AQAP/TS
Experience of process management
Proven track record of driving continuous quality improvement in a manufacturing environment
Experience in the automotive, electronics or defence/aerospace industries
Customer quality assurance experience
Proven experience of Quality Engineering and Control within a Manufacturing environment
Experienced practitioner in application of quality improvement tools
Experienced in supplier development
Adaptability – open to and actively solicit new ideas and opinions.
Assertiveness – readily offer opinions and take action even when their position may be unpopular.
Business Thinking – sees the organization as a series of integrated and interlocking business processes.
Understands general business concepts. Understands the financial framework of the organisation. Establishes and monitors appropriate financial measures, using data to make informed business decisions.
Communication – demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional work groups including suppliers, customers and associates, both verbally and in writing. Excellent listening skills.
Coaching & Counselling – effectively instructs associates at all performance levels and enjoys helping team members grow, sharing authority and providing resources and support that empower. Offers clear, direct, and timely feedback.
Conflict Management – support and manage differences of opinion. Use consensus and collaboration to debate and resolve issues.
Diplomacy – skilled at handling situations without arousing hostility. Forge coalitions.
Energy – have the stamina and endurance to maintain a fast pace and continue to produce.
Influence & Positive Impact – skilled at persuading, motivating, and energizing others at all levels. Passionate, personable, self-confident, and likeable. Able to flex style and direct, collaborate, or empower as the situation requires. Ability to establish a personal power base built on mutual trust, fairness, and honesty. Establish and maintain productive relationships and networks, utilising them to facilitate business transactions. Initiative – proactive and takes action without being prompted.
Learning agility – continuously seeks new knowledge, creates and fosters a culture of interest, curiosity and learning. Flexible to change, and learns from failure. Seeks to improve processes and products.
Organisation & Planning – manage time wisely and effectively prioritise multiple competing tasks.
Potential – capable of assuming more responsible roles within the organisation.
Presentation Skills – written and verbal.
Problem Solving & Decision Making – identifies and solves problems, develops innovative solutions, acts decisively, and shows good judgment.
Results Orientation – maintains appropriate focus on short- and long-term goals. Motivated by achievement, and persists until goals are reached, conveying a sense of urgency.
Self-Discernment – knows personal strengths and limitations and works toward improving weaknesses.
Team Player – respond to requests from other parts of the organisation, and support larger legitimate organisational agendas.
Visioning and Strategic Thinking – imaginative, entrepreneurial and thoughtful, creating a vision of a preferred future and communicating it clearly and enthusiastically in such a way that others are attracted to it. Knows and understands the factors influencing strategy, and acts with the future in mind
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk