Job Title: User Interface Software Engineer
Reporting to: Software Development Manager
Based at: Blackbushe, Yateley, UK
Job Purpose: To develop reliable and user friendly User Interfaces for software applications which will integrate with Sonardyne’s hardware and firmware modules for customers worldwide.
1. Using software mock-ups, prototypes, etc. to work with users and product designers to define workflow and optimise the User Experience.
2. Establish functional requirements and create software design specifications.
3. Undertake the software development for projects to meet the agreed timescales and Quality Assurance level.
4. Participate in Software Quality Assurance reviews and carry out remedial actions.
5. Undertake software testing and system trials which may very occasionally involve UK or offshore travel.
6. Resolve software issues found during the integration phases of the software, hardware and firmware modules.
7. Help resolve customer issues, and provide advice and guidance to customers by telephone, email and face to face including occasional visits to customers and/or offshore installations/vessels.
8. Create and maintain project documentation, including specifications, designs, test plans, release notes, user manuals etc.
9. Understand and ensure compliance with all the Company and customer quality processes and procedures and proactively participate in quality improvement initiatives in the software development area.
10. Develop and maintain commercial awareness of projects and an up to date knowledge in own area of expertise.
Core Company-wide Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti-Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related.
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focused on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc. within the Marketing team or Companywide.
4. To maintain and update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc.
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style.
Dimensions of the Role
• The Software Development team comprising the Software Development Manager and 12 Software Engineers.
• Indirect supervision of other Engineering staff of all disciplines.
• Occasional UK and offshore travel. Typically, this may involve one offshore trip of 1-2 weeks duration and two 1 week visits to Sonardyne’s Plymouth trial facility per year.
• Multiple (approximately 2-3) assignments need to be managed at any one time however the amount will vary depending on the level of complexity.
• Degree in Computer Science or related subject or equivalent experience
• Maths A Level
• Proficient in C# .NET with Visual Studio 2013 (or later)
• Strong User Interface/Front End principles, standards, practices
• Demonstrable experience of Front End software or Web development with complex/technical applications
• Programming principles including OOP, TDD, SOLID
• HTML5, CSS3, Bootstrap, SignalR
• Asynchronous request handling
• Ability to capture user/customer requirements specifications
• Results driven
• Team player
• Confident communicator
• Willing and able to travel occasionally
• Committed to learning and developing own & others knowledge