Transducer Design & Acoustic Engineer
Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Chief Mechanical Engineer
To design and develop underwater acoustic transducers to meet internal and external customer driven requirements and to ensure that transducer development is using the most up to date technology and adheres to external and Company quality standards.
1. To design and manage the development of underwater acoustic transducers to internal and external customer driven specifications from concept to pre-production. To include acoustic analysis/simulation, material selection, coordination of prototype manufacture, design of experiments and transducer testing to specifications.
2. To assume technical design responsibility for all transducer development. To include creating and maintaining records of transducer designs, material suppliers, manufacturing techniques and procedures. This may also include managing suppliers and specialist acoustic consultants.
3. To develop and document design procedures and rules so as to protect and document Company knowledge.
4. To be responsible for the planning, execution and reporting of transducer testing activities, including the development of specialist jigs and fixtures as required. To include supervision of the transducer development tank and responsibility for use of the associated test equipment.
5. Promote new enabling technologies, innovative design concepts and methods for developing transducers with particular emphasis on polyurethane technology, wideband transducer design and 1-3 composites.
6. To develop and maintain knowledge of the latest techniques in subsea acoustic transducer design, analysis and manufacture and to distribute the latest technological and product advances to the relevant engineers to address emerging engineering needs.
7. To develop a database of the design of complementary products and assess the potential for improvements to the Sonardyne product range.
8. To gather knowledge from existing transducer experts within the company and then combined with own expertise disseminate the accumulated knowledge by mentoring / training the other transducer engineers within the company.
9. To provide support for investigations into in-service transducer failures and to support with developing remedial solutions in a timely and cost effective manner.
10. To provide technical input into bid proposals in the area of transducer design and review proposals for technical accuracy and associated risks.
11. To produce and maintain project plans as required, provide weekly updates of workload, progress and issues to the Chief Mechanical Engineer. Highlight areas of technical and/or commercial risk, report these to the Chief Mechanical Engineer and assist with actively managing any risks.
12. To present comprehensive material and time booking documentation for each project in accordance with the administrative guidelines of the Department and ISO/Company Quality policies and procedures.
Core Company-WIDE PERSONAL Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all staff in the EMD Group, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees’ health & safety or others’, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related.
3. To facilitate EMD Group contributions to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process, through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the EMD Group, Engineering Function or any areas of the Company
4. To maintain and update EMD Group technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct reports
Project Parameters: Regular contact with suppliers, customers and specialists
Product Coverage: Sonardyne’s acoustic transducer portfolio ranging from low frequency (kHz) to ultrasonic (MHz).
Customer Profiles: Offshore oil and gas – from major oil companies, survey companies equipment suppliers, special project engineering to rental pools.
Maritime security: from national defence forces, security integrators to high net worth individuals.
Oceanographic research: from research institutes to universities.
Travel Requirements: Possible travel to UK suppliers and Sherbourne / Plymouth to support product development, as required.
• Educated to Masters Degree level in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering or similar – PhD preferred.
• Thorough understanding of acoustic design theory, materials & applications.
• Understanding of first principles of acoustic wave propagation and ability to independently validate design and simulation results.
• Strong materials science background with emphasis on the acoustic characteristics materials used in the construction of subsea acoustic transducers.
• Experienced user of finite element analysis software for transducer design – Ansys, PzFlex and/or Pafec preferred.
• Experience of Matlab, MathCAD or similar for transducer performance modelling.
• Basic knowledge or programming skills with Labview, Matlab or other software for data acquisition and analysis.
• Basic knowledge of 3D CAD (preferably Autodesk Inventor).
• Knowledge of relevant codes, standards and applicable regulations.
• Proven experience in design, prototype, test and validation of underwater acoustic transducers.
• Broad range of transducer design experience ranging from low frequency (kHz) to ultrasonic (MHz).
• Experience of defining and measuring material acoustic properties – sound speed, attenuation, absorption coefficient etc.
• Hands on experience of transducer assembly to include bonding, soldering and encapsulation.
• Experience of ceramic dicing machines and associated equipment for the manufacture of 1-3 composites.
• Proven experience in transducer characterisation – beam patterns, beam width, cross talk, directivity, transmit power, receive sensitivity, efficiency etc.
• Ability to use a broad class of laboratory equipment – oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, hydrophones, waveform generators, amplifiers etc.
• Technical report writing skills.
• Critical thinking and problem solving ability
• Attention to detail
• Strong planning and organising skills including a thorough and methodical approach and ability to prioritise
• Results orientation
• Self reliant
• High degree of self-motivation
• Personal drive and enthusiasm
• Ability to achieve results through others
• Flexibility / Responsiveness
• Ability to work well with others
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk
No agencies please.