Technical Support Engineer
Houston, Texas, USA
To install, repair, maintain and support Sonardyne equipment at onshore and diverse offshore locations provide accurate and thorough technical support across the Sonardyne product range, to customers worldwide and to assist in the Company’s internal product development processes
1. To install, commission, service and repair the full range of Sonardyne products on customer premises/vessels worldwide, in accordance with Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), ensuring maximum levels of customer satisfaction are achieved and maintained at all times.
2. To understand, observe and apply a ‘safety first’ approach at all times, complying with Company policies, procedures and practices relating to Occupational Health & Safety, including all provisions in the Sonardyne Safety System (SMS 001/SMS 002) eg completion of JSA’s, wearing of PPE, following Safety Working Practice instructions, undertaking HS&S training and escalation of any observations of activities or aspects that could adversely impact employee’s health and safety and the safety of others resulting from personal or Sonardyne work activities.
3. To comply with all Customer mandatory Health & Safety rules, whether onshore or offshore, as advised via HSE scope of work, pre-work inspections, tool-box talks and specific on-site requirements, reporting back to Sonardyne Management where incidents occur and escalating instances where risk to personal health and safety is identified.
4. To evaluate, test, analyse and correct failures of incoming products in a workshop environment.
5. Perform component level modifications to PCB’s in accordance with engineering change notes.
6. To manage all customer relationships pro-actively, through detailed updates of work carried out, comprehensive customer familiarisation with product/equipment and timely escalation of problems routed through the Customer Service team and technical specialists or management where appropriate.
7. To create and submit thorough and concise reports on completion of offshore and onshore assignments.
8. To identify new opportunities and customer service initiatives to the Customer Service team through observation and direct liaison with customers during scheduled visits or trouble-shooting activities.
9. To provide technical expertise, when onshore, in the form of support calls direct to customers and internal resources such as Sales, Engineering, Regional Offices etc.
10. To understand and comply with all Company Policies and Procedures.
11. To contribute to the continuous improvement of Company operations through the identification of potential corrective actions and initiatives aimed at increasing productivity, efficiency, financial saving, customer satisfaction and employee morale.
12. To keep up to date with all Company product and technological advances through attendance on Company training events, access and awareness to technical bulletin updates and personal liaison with internal Company technical resources, eg Engineering, Survey Support Group, GBM’s, specialist trainers etc.
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct supervision of staff
Budget Responsibility: None
Travel: Worldwide travel, average 120 days per year, this will include travel to and from vessels and platforms primarily in the Gulf of Mexico at short notice plus international overseas travel. A valid passport must be maintained at all times.
Product Support: Full Sonardyne product range
College degree educated in a technical field (preferably electronics related) and/or equivalent military/technical training
Awareness of basic mechanical engineering principles
Up to date Offshore Survival Course certification
Up to date medical clearance for offshore working
Basic understanding of acoustic principles and effects of various aspects on acoustic product performance
Experience of offshore working eg confined spaces, inclement weather, sole operator, challenging customers, low housekeeping/cleanliness environments, va ried cultural backgounds, etc
Ability to work in confined spaces and on a sea-based operation without severe personal effects
Ability to demonstrate understanding and application of relevant safe-working practices and vigilant operation within Health & Safety systems of work
Ability to demonstrate genuine customer orientation
Experience of installation, repair, service and commission of equipment interfacing with other products and systems
Ability to understand and apply Standard Operating Procedures
Experience of fault diagnosis involving hardware and software
Understanding and application of communication protocols RS232/RS485
Working knowledge of test equipment including oscilloscopes, multimeters, cable testers
Proven ability to write internal Company Visit Reports and bespoke ‘How to’ manuals for customer use on vessels, rigs etc
IT literacy to operate laptop equipment and interpret data results
Ability to understand and use CRM IT systems to support offshore reporting to the Company and raise Support Cases onshore and offshore etc
Ability to work effectively with others
Logical, analytical and evaluative approach
Technical problem solving orientation and ability
Effective communication skills both verbal and written including technical translation to customers where English may not be the first language
Adaptability and flexibility