We are looking to hire an experienced Software Systems Test Engineer who has a Software System Testing Qualification (e.g. ISTQB® Certified Tester Foundation Level or equivalent qualification/experience).
System Test Manager
To undertake comprehensive testing of marine systems, integrating hardware, software and firmware to ensure that new and updated products achieve agreed performance and quality standards.
The Role & Specific Competencies:
The Software Systems Test Engineer will be responsible for building, maintaining, creating and executing manual and automated system tests. The individual will work closely with developers, project managers, and other stakeholders through the testing and development cycle. In this role you will have opportunity to not only test and support existing product lines through the introduction of new features, but to actively shape the test strategy as we increase the use of automated test tools and other DevOps methodologies.
- System testing of Sonardyne products. Test functionality, usability, performance and stability of all software/hardware applications.
- Study and understand specification(s)/requirements, user stories/epics/scenarios and interpret acceptance criteria to produce effective and relevant test plans.
- Perform both exploratory and candidate release testing.
- Investigate, reproduce, log and update issues.
- Improve the quality, usability and reliability of our products.
- To establish and maintain strong communication channels with hardware, software and firmware specialists across the Company.
- To provide usability feedback via test reports and at weekly department meetings to assist design authorities across the Company. This ensures continuous improvement in system and interface design.
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of the System Test Team and wider Engineering department through the identification of potential changes and initiatives aimed at increasing productivity, efficiency and improving the overall team and department’s function
- To organise and conduct trials at Sonardyne’s trial facility in Plymouth.
- Contributes to, or can review, time and cost estimates for testing tasks.
- Independently evaluate, select and adapt standard testing techniques, procedures and criteria.
- To apply technical expertise in support of specific customer situations, both onshore and offshore, including installation of new or specialist systems into the field, hands-on training of customers, demo’s and trialling of new systems to potential customers.
- Occasionally share out-of-hours engineering specialist support duties on a rota basis alongside other engineers, providing specialist support regarding system and software queries.
- To maintain and update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning etc.
- You must have the mindset of a Tester (Therefore considering the end users/Customers).
- A logical and scrupulous approach with good attention to detail.
- Communication: verbal and written with the ability to present technical terms/concepts in understandable ways in English.
- Open and collaborative.
- Problem solving and fault-finding skills.
- Analytical: base decision making on data when available with critical evaluation.
- Self-directed, acting on your own initiative.
- Pragmatic, flexible, determined and well organized. Capable of working under pressure.
- Propose new ideas and approaches, unafraid to challenge the status quo.
- Builds and applies a knowledge of the user’s needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Automated/Manual Software Testing execution and creation experience.
Experience with lifecycle management software (e.g. Jira).
Experience with test automation tools (e.g. Leapwork, Selenium, Ranorex, Katalon).
Intermediate user of Microsoft Windows Office Suite specifically programming in Excel.
Experience of manipulating and interpreting large data files.
Aware of different testing methods e.g. System Testing, Functional Testing, Exploratory Testing, Automated Testing, Compatibility Testing, Regression Testing, Reliability Testing, Usability Testing.
Basic knowledge of programming / scripting (e.g. Python, C#, C++)
Degree or equivalent qualification in Engineering/Technical/Mathematics/Science disciplines.
Software System Testing Qualification (e.g. ISTQB® Certified Tester Foundation Level or equivalent qualification/experience).
Valid UK full driving licence
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE