Software Development Manager
Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
You will be responsible for developing class leading solutions and planning the execution path to deliver software systems and products into the marine technology market. You will collaborate with teams across the company including Hardware, Electronic Systems, Business Development, Production and Quality.
Software DevelopMENT mANAGER – be a part of our continious passion for innovation…
wHAT WE DO?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are the enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: Our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
wHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
An experienced Software Development Manager to bring their skills onboard; leading our team of developers in providing class leading innovative software solutions and systems into the marine technology market.
Managing the entire software system development life-cycle.
Manage and prioritise the software development backlog, translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables with key focus on business and customer value.
Engaging with internal commercial/technical teams and our customer base, aligning software solution deliverables to the business roadmap and customer/market requirements.
Building and maintaining long term software solution strategies and software product roadmaps.
Inspire, motivate, and lead the software development team.
Attract, recruit and retain high-calibre software development talent.
Manage the team to effectively resolve customer issues.
Measure performance and implement continuous improvement.
Provide guidance on different approaches to development and delivery of solutions/systems that could yield better results.
tHE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Has recent and strong experience, expertise and capability in .Net based architecture, development, delivery and ongoing support.
Has experience in cross discipline complex system development (e.g. software, embedded, electronic, firmware, mechanical).
Fosters a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation and excellence.
Demonstrates ownership and accountability for the entire product delivery process.
Has a collaborative and business-oriented approach and ability to build strong relationships.
Demonstrates an ability to remain a calm and reassuring influence in a dynamic project driven environment.
Has experience working in fast paced environments handling multiple, competing priorities.
Demonstrates experience in networking and cloud based solutions and understanding of cybersecurity and encryption.
Can manage outsourced software development projects and resources.
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment. We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We always try to keep our salaries competitive and offer a modest benefits package:
25 days holiday plus bank holidays
Holiday purchase scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
Pension scheme with generous employer contributions
Sickness absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
Enhanced maternity pay scheme
Childcare voucher scheme
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible Working Arrangements scheme
Discretionary performance related pay scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
1. Deliver cohesive system solutions that provide the best possible benefit to our customers and Sonardyne by:
a. Providing unique and/or technologically advanced features
b. Ensuring our deliverables are simple/intuitive to use and work seamlessly together.
c. Ensure our deliverables can be supported, modified and scaled efficiently and quickly to match changing objectives.
d. Deliverables are supplied with appropriate guidance and support
2. Foster a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation and excellence
3. Manage the entire software development life-cycle.
4. Demonstrate ownership and accountability for the entire product delivery process.
5. Collaborate with project management to develop project and resource plans / schedules
6. Input to planning and resource forecasting. Set and organise the priorities and direction for the team. Distribute work in line with plans.
7. Assist with day-to-day project management to ensure successful, on-time releases; assist the team in accomplishing all tasks.
8. Collaborate with Quality and New Product Introduction teams to measure performance and implement continuous improvement.
9. Provide guidance on different approaches to development and delivery of solutions/systems that could yield better results.
10. Take an economic view of time, cost, benefit and risk to ensure deliverables meet the objectives in the most cost and time effective way. This should involve use of existing or 3rd party solutions if appropriate.
11. Promote and actively contribute towards systems thinking at the outset of tasks such as behaviour definition, architecture, design, interfaces, integration & planning.
12. Aligned to the business roadmap and customer/market requirements, build and maintain long term software solution strategies and software product roadmaps.
13. Manage and prioritise the software development backlog, translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables with key focus on business and customer value.
14. Promote and maintain efficient and relevant development standards, procedures and tools, promoting use of shared tools, techniques and deliverables as required.
15. Inspire, motivate, manage and lead the software development team Manage the team to effectively resolve customer issues.
16. Develop the team both technically and in relation to their performance as a group, regularly reviewing progress and undertaking performance reviews.
17. Attract, recruit and retain high-calibre software development talent.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Demonstrable experience of managing software engineering teams and developing technical direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement)
Recent and strong experience, expertise and capability in .Net based architecture, development, delivery and ongoing support
Experience in C# and Visual studio
A deep understanding of software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping production quality software on time
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Collaborative and business-oriented approach and ability to build strong relationships and influence at senior management levels of the organization
Experience in cross discipline complex system development (e.g. software, embedded, electronic, firmware, mechanical)
Proficient in hiring and developing new employees
Experience in source code, issue tracking and requirements management tools
Ability to remain a calm and reassuring influence in a dynamic project driven environment
Experience working in fast paced environments handling multiple, competing priorities
Experience in managing multi-platform, embedded and/or web client development Experience in networking and cloud based solutions
Understanding of cybersecurity and encryption
Experience of different development methodologies (e.g. waterfall, scrum, Kanban) with ability to apply the most suitable methodology as required.
Experience in use and management of open source libraries and standards.
Experience of outsource development management.
Experience in Posix compliant languages, Linux, RTOS.
A strong customer / client and stakeholder management focus with experience of working on pure funded internal product / software development projects as well as 3rd part funded product / software development projects
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE:
Manage the navigation software group within the Engineering department. The group currently consist of 14 dedicated engineers. Close collaboration and co-operative development with other teams in the Engineering department and selected 3rd parties is essential.
vOLUME OF WORK:
5 or more major projects ongoing per year and additional minor projects including technology demonstrations and evaluations
Occasional travel away from base of work to sites including Plymouth, customer and offshore facilities worldwide.
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk