What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced Workshop Technician to undertake the repair, service and calibration of Company equipment within the Aberdeen Workshop and Warehouse, to meet agreed timescales, quality standards and internal/external expectations. The jobholder will also take on the day to day supervision of Trainee Workshop Technicians. This role forms part of the Workshop and Warehouse team. Some travel will be required to Sonardyne’s Blackbushe Offices and the Plymouth Trial Facility; and there may also be the need to go offshore.
- To undertake complex and standard repairs, services and the calibration of Company equipment, some of which will be to component level whilst ensuring maximum operational effectiveness by meeting all timescales and quality standards through appropriate prioritisation of workload, effective equipment, adequate stock levels and use of Company systems, i.e. Syspro.
- To provide accurate and timely repair quotations and log them using the Syspro ERP system.
- To liaise with and advise customer’s technical representatives on the status of repair whilst maintaining the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
- To facilitate the day to day work of the Trainee Workshop Technician by providing guidance, technical support and imparting knowledge to ensure that all outputs are in line with Company and customer quality processes, procedures and standards.
- To provide support to the Workshop Supervisor in generating weekly management information covering levels of activities, i.e. status of repairs etc and general operational issues.
- To escalate to the Workshop Supervisor and the necessary internal departments, any issues impacting on delivery, local operational efficiency and/or customer satisfaction and provide technical advice on how the issues may be resolved.
- To deputise for the Workshop Supervisor in their absence by coordinating the day to day allocation of work within the Aberdeen Workshop and Warehouse and provide technical guidance and supervision on complex repairs and services, to ensure that a high standard of work is achieved.
- To understand and ensure compliance with all Company and customer quality processes and procedures and proactively participate in generating quality improvement initiatives throughout the Workshop and Warehouse operations.
- To install, commission and repair the full range of Sonardyne products on customer premises, rigs, vessels and dockyards worldwide, in accordance with Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- HNC/HND in Electronics
- Valid driving licence for use in the UK
- Extensive knowledge of Sonardyne products
- Established knowledge and experience of undertaking fault finding
- Experience of standard and complex repair, service and calibration work
- Proven experience of mechanical assembly
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office Suite
- Good level of numeracy
- Ability to fault find
- Self-reliant, working with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift between 18kg to 25kg
- Technical curiosity
- Ability to coordinate the work of others
- Experience of delegating work and providing technical guidance to less experienced members of the team
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We keep our salaries competitive and offer our employees the following benefits package:
- 25 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness Absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced Maternity Pay Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements Scheme
- Discretionary Performance Related Pay Scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Ready to join the team…? …then e-mail your CV and cover letter to the HR.TEAM@SONARDYNE.COM
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.