Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Survey Support Group Manager
To provide expert survey systems guidance and awareness to core business customers in the Oil and Gas Survey & Construction markets, via Survey Support Group. Project planning and implementation, on and offshore technical support, development and delivery of learning forums and written technical materials, and active participation in influential industry events, whilst also providing constructive feedback into Sonardyne regards levels of customer satisfaction, market intelligence and product/systems performance, therefore enabling Sonardyne to continuously improve its customer support activities and pursue new business opportunities.
1. To develop and agree project plans for Survey Support Group technical support activities in liaison with the Survey Support Group Manager, internal departmental contacts within Engineering and Sales and external customer contacts, covering product/system requirements, resource levels and skill sets, timescales, commercial sensitivities, etc.
2. To coordinate and manage the successful completion of the offshore Survey Support Group Projects/activities ensuring that the Survey Support Group Surveyors, Engineers and customers alike are fully supported with efficient channels of communication, prompt escalation of issues/problems and effective strategies to resolve customer/product/system difficulties.
3. To deliver offshore operational technical support for ‘higher profile’ Survey Support Group projects/activities in an acoustic operator capacity or problem solving mode, ensuring mobilisation of timely and appropriate additional Sonardyne technical expertise (where required) and effective on-board customer management
4. To provide onshore expert-level technical support direct to customers (and other Survey Support Group staff / Engineering staff whilst offshore) via email, telephone and site visits, to resolve tactical systems performance problems, review customer operating procedures and to undertake wider systems performance evaluation and recommendations.
5. To conduct LBL array planning and auditing for field developments requiring the deployment of LBL positioning systems, using in house planning software to determine optimum locations to deploy Compatt transponders following analysis of both oil field developments and customer specific positioning requirements.
6. To test and evaluate newly developed systems-testing programs to increase quality and operational efficiency of systems prior to shipment to customers.
7. To develop written technical documentation i.e. white papers, training lecture notes, technical guidelines, presentations, etc. for use by others (Sales, Training, Management, etc.) to promote awareness, understanding and guidance regarding the most effective use of Sonardyne systems in the Survey and Construction market.
8. To adapt existing training course material and modules and develop new, varied-format learning events with integral training evaluation parameters, to provide practical awareness and education of Sonardyne equipment, systems, techniques, etc. to external customers and internal staff.
9. To fill in as required to deliver LBL, USBL and INS systems training courses to external customers and internal Sonardyne staff at Sonardyne and customer facilities across the world in conjunction with the Technical Training team.
10. To feedback constructive information to the engineering, design and development teams regarding operational systems problems and product/system refinements identified during the course of technical support activities/learning events.
11. To identify and feedback to Survey Support Group Management and Sonardyne commercial teams, potential business opportunities gleaned through direct contact with customers during learning events and onshore/offshore activities.
12. To provide thorough and comprehensive communications in written and verbal form to the Survey Support Group Manager and, where required, to Director level. Written submissions to include Visit Reports, quarterly synopsis of activities and trends for input to the Survey Support Group Board submission in addition to diligent updating of the CRM system with contact information and sales opportunities
13. To enhance the reputation and profile of Sonardyne, promoting the Company name, brand and capabilities through scheduled marketing activities, contacts with trade organisations and active participation in industry/market related events including contributions to publications and presentation of conference papers, etc.
14. To keep up to date with in-house technology and product advances, commercial processes/procedures, Company structure and contacts to ensure knowledgeable discussions with customers and enable efficient progressing of operational issues.
15. To establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff across the international Regional offices, Systems Test, Engineering, Business Development, Direct Sales, Training and Customer Support promoting a collaborative working style.
core company responsibilitieS
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale, etc. within the Survey Support group or Companywide
4. To maintain and update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews, etc.
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct supervision of staff
Market Focus: Oil/Gas Survey and Construction market
Product Coverage: Sonardyne products/systems used in Oil/Gas field development, e.g. LBL/USBL/INS/AMT’s, etc.
Geographical Remit: Worldwide from work base in Yateley
Customer Profiles: Oil Co’s to Hire Co’s including Field Planners, Field Project Managers, Equipment Specifiers, Customer Project Surveyors and Survey Teams, Equipment Managers
Travel Requirement: Frequent international travel to cover geographical remit, conducting training/workshops, supporting sales initiatives with Regional Offices, assisting product/system trials and providing some offshore customer support. In a typical year this may involve up to 10 offsite visits of 1 working week duration in addition to approximately 4 offshore trips of up to 4 weeks duration.
• Degree level, or equivalent, in Hydrographic Survey or related disciplines
• Demonstrable operational knowledge of Sonardyne LBL/USBL products and systems, product applications and detailed performance parameters
• Experience in the use of inertial navigation systems
• Proven offshore experience, including rigs and vessels, with direct customer contact
• Experience with a wide range of customers both satisfied and dissatisfied in an on shore and offshore capacity
• Proven experience in developing effective written technical support material, e.g. technical procedures, white papers, technical guidelines
• Proven experience in delivering effective technical presentations and varied learning events to small and large groups ranging from Operators to Senior customer management
• Customer orientation
• Self-reliance / initiative
• Communications skills: both written and verbal
• Ability to work with others
• Work organisation and structure: including prioritising and multi-tasking
• Results driven
• Analytical: evaluation, problem identification
• Problem solving
• Decision quality: evaluation, applied judgement