What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
This is a position that will provide an exciting opportunity to join Sonardyne’s expanding Engineering Department. You will be involved in testing, analysis and calibration of new sensors via use of state-of-the-art test equipment which offers an opportunity to challenge both analytical and practical hands-on experimentation skills. You will system design and have responsibility for integrated multi-sensor products for marine robotics use. You will internally be supported by experienced colleagues, PhD level experts and have technical links to key external suppliers and product users.
- Experimentation and testing of inertial sensors and inertial measurement units (IMUs).
- State-of-the-art motion, temperature and vibration simulators – necessary training will be provided
- Selection, evaluation and integration of new sensors and sensor technologies:
- Temperature, pressure, magnetics, sound speed, acoustic, optical and others
- Establish and maintain technical relations with sensor providers
- Enhance test equipment and processes for both R&D and production
- Follow developments in sensor products and technology
- Provide technical guidance and undertake design, implementation and testing of multi‑sensor integrated products
- Apply and/or expand skills in system design
- Support and take part in product trials; primarily onshore and optionally offshore
- Support project management with time and cost estimates for tasks or small projects
- Apply and/or expand skills in technical project management
- Responsible nature, quality oriented and self-motivated
- Can represent the company in communications with customers, suppliers and other 3rd parties
- Enjoy working as part of a team and in close co-operation with other teams
- Ability to prioritise and efficiently divide time between several ongoing tasks
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
Wide technical understanding, interest and practical experience:
- Sensors and physics
- Electro-mechanical product design
- Strong analytical skills
- Complex problem solving and trouble shooting ability and interest.
- Good communicator both written and verbal
- Practical data analysis and programming skills
- (Desirable) Practical experience or knowledge of inertial sensors or associated physics
- (Desirable) Experience with MATLAB
- (Desirable) Interest or experience in the marine, sensors or autonomous robotics domains
- Minimum MSc level Degree in Engineering or Physics or equivalent proven strong analytic skills
- UK national and potential for security clearance
- Valid driver’s license
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We keep our salaries competitive and offer our employees the following benefits:
- 25 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness Absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced Maternity Pay Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements Scheme
- Discretionary Performance Related Pay Scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Ready to join the team…? …then e-mail your CV and cover letter to the HR.TEAM@SONARDYNE.COM
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.