Job Title: Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Based: Blackbushe, Yateley, UK
Reporting to: Doppler Group Manager
Job Purpose: To create, understand, deliver and develop acoustic Doppler technology solutions, meeting internal and external customer requirements through all stages of the development lifecycle.
1. To investigate and establish the functional requirements of acoustic Doppler software and related systems by liaising with Engineering, Project Managers, Field Engineers and Customers in order to fully understand and accurately document the software specifications using corporate templates.
2. To undertake software development assignments in accordance with the defined and agreed specification, ensuring the full development lifecycle is followed and the Doppler Group Manager is kept up to date on progress.
3. To take shared responsibility for management of the internal feature request and issue tracking database by reviewing new requests, targeting to release versions and prioritising development and testing.
4. To create and maintain documentation relevant to the design and development process, which will include: specifications, designs, test plans and release notes.
5. To participate in project reviews, Software Quality Assurance (SQA) reviews and to ensure any remedial actions are documented and completed in a timely manner.
6. To conduct embedded software testing and system trials to ensure the design is fit for purpose and meets the specification. Any issues relating to functionality or operational effectiveness must be resolved satisfactorily. This may be done in an office setting or at the Plymouth trials facility.
7. To resolve issues found during the integration phases of the firmware, hardware and software modules which could be at the development testing or system test stage, either by working autonomously or with members of other teams. Test failures must be accurately recorded in accordance with Company procedures.
8. To provide technical advice and guidance to customers regarding new and existing products. This may be via email, telephone or occasionally at customer meetings and will involve working to vessel schedules and customer timetables to meet demands.
9. To develop and maintain a detailed knowledge and understanding of current industry embedded firmware / software technologies and their application to future Sonardyne products and systems.
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Marketing team or Companywide
4. To maintain an update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions and Scope of the Role:
Team: A member of the Doppler team comprising of the Doppler Group Manager, Embedded Software Engineer, Global Business Development person and a team of internal consultants.
Customers: Oil and Gas, Oceanographic
Travel: Occasional UK and International travel. In a typical year this may involve up to 5 offsite visits of 1 week to the Plymouth trials facility.
• Educated to degree level i.e. BSc/BEng or equivalent qualification in a related discipline; such as Electronics, Physics or Computer Science
• Educated to A Level or above in Maths
• >5 years’ experience of development cycles for embedded software, including developing new novel applications from scratch.
• Analytical and debugging skills
• >5 years’ experience in the development of quality solutions to tight timescales
• C and/or C++ skills in an embedded, multi-threaded POSIX RTOS environment(s) (e.g. Blackberry QNX, Greenhills Integrity, RTEMS, etc.)
• Experience of hardware/software interfacing, particularly digital electronics
• Low-level communications experience e.g. TCP/IP, RS232/485, USB
• Competence in the use of algorithms and data structures
• Project management skills
• Knowledge of physical oceanography
• FPGA design and interfacing,
• Relevant experience of development of complex, technical applications
• Development experience using Matlab
• Windows development experience (Visual Studio .NET; C#, Lua, etc.)
• Exposure to different development methodologies
• Embedded Webserver
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to work on multiple issues/designs in parallel
• Strong communicator both written and verbal
• Flexible approach
• Team player
• Highly motivated
• Good planning and organising skills, including work organisation e.g. prioritising and multi-tasking
• Personal drive and determination to achieve often against tight deadlines