Senior Electronics Engineer
What do we do?
Chelsea Technologies is a market leading environmental sensor company working in a variety of industry sectors, including green shipping, marine science, water quality, defence and agritech.
Who are we looking for?
A Senior Electronics Engineer with relevant experience and specific expertise in analogue circuit design preferably in an instrumentation development environment. To work on instrumentation and acoustic systems.
The work will involve mixed signal design including pre-amplifiers, filters, power supplies, interfacing and analogue-digital conversion for precision instrumentation applications. Some experience or knowledge of microprocessor based circuit design and embedded software would be desirable.
The candidate will be expected to work independently or as a member of a team contributing to all aspects of the product development cycle from requirement analysis through design & development into production. The candidate would be expected to produce design documentation and test specifications.
Practical skills would be desirable but not essential.
The candidate will be expected to provide technical support to Sales and Marketing for bidding/proposal writing and technical assistance to the Customer Support Manager and Production Department.
The candidate would be expected to provide occasional off-shore support as required including some overseas travel.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Candidates with a BSc (2:1) or a higher degree in a relevant electronics-engineering course from a UK University.
- Basic Analog components / circuits (essential)
- Operational Amplifier circuits (essential)
- Power supply technology (essential)
- Circuit analysis, modelling and theory (essential)
- Analog-Digital Conversion (essential)
- Interfacing and IO (e.g. I2C and SPI bus) (essential)
- CAD Schematic layout (essential)
- CAD PCB design (essential)
- Experience of Cadence OrCAD PCB design tools (essential)
- Fault finding (desirable)
- Must live within commuting distance of the office.
- The candidate will be a self-motivated engineer capable of running small development tasks independently. Example tasks include low-noise hydrophone preamplifier design or multichannel data logger design. Candidate will have to check other engineer’s work.
New product development (design & test). Existing product development (fault finding / improvement / enhancement). Support to Production Department test engineers, Engineers (after settling in) would be expected to design, prototype and document a circuit. Then take it through to a manufacturability state. This may be as part of a team.
Self-motivation is essential along with a desire to continue to improve on both a personal and professional level. The candidate must be keen to learn new skills and be comfortable working in a highly multidisciplinary environment.
The candidate must be able to operate as part of a team but also be able to act on own initiative, must be methodical and pay great attention to detail and work well under pressure and to deadline. Good communication skills are essential.
The candidate must be suitable for SC security clearance with the UK Ministry of Defence. Driving license would be of benefit, as some travel will be involved in the role. Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas, including overnight absences.
Normal working hours: 37.5 hours – 8.00/8.30am – 4.00/4.30pm, 30 mins lunch Monday-Friday. However it is expected that when urgent deadlines are to be met, or customer support needed, staff will be required to work outside these core hours.
- Assembler and/or embedded ‘C’ (desirable)
- Use of PAL/FPGA technologies (desirable)
- Linux (desirable)
- Good written and presentational communication skills will be required (essential).
what sonardyne offer:
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We always try to keep our salaries competitive and offer an attractive benefits package:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with generous employer contributions
- Life assurance scheme
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk
No Agencies please.