What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
A growing number of subsea and surface marine robotic vehicles rely on Sonardyne’s world leading and expanding range of hybrid navigation systems. A hybrid navigation system determines position, orientation and velocity via sensor data fusion of measurements from multiple sensor types with complementary characteristics. Based on a broad engineering or physics interest and background, you will take part in the selection, evaluation and integration of new sensors and sensor technologies including but not limited to: Inertial (gyroscopes and accelerometers), pressure, temperature, magnetic, acoustic and optical.
You will be supported by PhD level experts, experienced colleagues, co-operate closely with leading suppliers and utilise state-of-the-art test equipment and experimental trials facilities. This role has growth potential in multiple directions, e.g. sensors expert / technical manager or hybrid systems architect / engineer
- Work as a member of a specific product development team as well as supporting long term technology R&D
- Take part in selection, experimental evaluation, data analysis / mining and integration of sensors and sensor technologies:
- Inertial (gyroscopes, accelerometers and IMUs), temperature, pressure, magnetics, sound speed, acoustic, optical, …
- Apply state-of-the-art motion, temperature, vibration simulators and test tanks
- Necessary training and support will be provided
- Keep up to date with and relay knowledge of new sensors / technology to senior systems engineers and management for use in product / technology roadmaps
- Establish and maintain technical contacts with sensor providers and technology partners
- Represent the company in external communication
- Support and take part in trials at our facility in Plymouth and potentially elsewhere in the UK and abroad
- Quality oriented and apply a structured and systematic approach to work
- Excellent analytics skills in combination with interest and experience in doing hands on experimental R&D
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
Wide technical understanding, drive to further develop and practical experience and skills on several of the below topics:
- Applied physics
- Mechanics / mechatronics
- Mathematical and statistical analysis
- Strong analytical skills
- Complex problem solving and trouble shooting ability and interest.
- Mathematical / statistical data analysis and programming skills
- Practical data analysis and programming skills
- (Desirable) Practical experience or knowledge of inertial sensors and/or associated physics
- (Desirable) Experience with MATLAB
- (Desirable) Interest or experience in the marine, sensors or autonomous robotics domains
- (Desirable) Good and efficient communicator
- Minimum MSc level Degree in Engineering or Physics or equivalent proven strong analytic skills
- UK national and potential for security clearance
- Valid driver’s license
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We keep our salaries competitive and offer our employees the following benefits:
- 25 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness Absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced Maternity Pay Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements Scheme
- Discretionary Performance Related Pay Scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Ready to join the team…? …then e-mail your CV and cover letter to the HR.TEAM@SONARDYNE.COM
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.