Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Deliver engineering solutions to meet specific customer requirements using Sonardyne products or technologies with strict adherence to internal and Customer quality standards and timescales.
The following job description is intended to reflect the nature, range and context of the work. It identifies the main requirements of the role but is not an exhaustive list of duties.
1. Work with the Project Manager to identify requirements and create designs for customer solutions which may involve sourcing of new components, creation of drawings and evaluation of new equipment.
2. Work with the Project Manager to produce project plans, budgets and reports for management and customers.
3. Drive the timely production and delivery of customer solutions from the design stage through to the finished system including coordinating input from internal company resources across engineering, software development, production, sales, finance etc.
4. Develop and undertake rigorous bench, in-water and environmental test procedures to validate the systems hardware, firmware and software elements.
5. Identify and rectify faults from component through to system level using specialist internal resources where required.
6. Ensure all Production, Test, EMD, problem reports and documentation is completed in compliance with internal Company procedures.
7. Prepare, review and manage project documentation to individual customer requirements including manuals, manufacturing record books, interface specifications, handling procedures, storage procedures, test and inspection plans.
8. Evaluate, monitor and manage risks, issues and changes, escalating as appropriate to keep the project on schedule.
9. Represent the Company as a recognised technical authority throughout customer acceptance testing ensuring all issues are managed to the full satisfaction of the Customer.
10. Provide the customer with formal and informal system training.
11. Install and commission the system at the Customer site or vessel with the assistance of a field engineer where required.
12. Provide direct customer support through email communication, phone support and where necessary site visits throughout the bespoke systems operational life.
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related.
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Survey Team or Companywide.
4. To maintain an update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc.
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style.
Dimensions of the Role
Team: A member of the Projects Group consisting of Project Managers and Project Engineers and the Projects Group Manager
Project size: Budgets range from £50k – £2m
Customers: Oil and Gas, Ocean Science and Survey companies
Volume of work: 3 / 4 major projects ongoing per year and 1 / 2 pre-existing major projects support
Travel: Occasional travel away from base of work to sites including Plymouth, customer and offshore facilities worldwide. Some offshore working may be necessary which will require Offshore Survival Training to be completed.
• Degree in an Engineering discipline (Electronics, Systems, Communications, Software or similar)
• Knowledge and use of standard lab testing equipment including Oscilloscopes and DVMs.
• Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel.
• Proven background in engineering design or project/product launch or implementation
• Awareness of software or embedded software development
• Awareness of analogue or digital electronics development
• Commercial awareness, understanding of ‘Business Case’, profit etc.
Contacts and Communication
The role requires good communication skills at many levels. The post holder will deal directly with the following internal stakeholders:
• Fellow Design Engineers (Mechanical, Electronics, Software)
• Scientists and Survey staff
• Operations and installation staff
• Procurement and contracts staff
• Other specialist groups such as Safety, Finance, Building Services etc.
The post holder will deal with the following external stakeholders:
• End customers, sub-contractors (internally and externally located)
• External engineering consultancies
Personal Skills and Attributes
• Good inter-personal skills, particularly in communication.
• Good people management skills.
• Very high level of drive, motivation, enthusiasm and focus on achieving goals.
• Focus on delivering working, high quality solutions to meet the project objectives.
• Organised approach to complex problems.
• Strong ability to think creatively, seek and accept change and want continuous improvement.