Job Title: Production Engineering NPI Team Leader
Based: Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Reporting to: Engineering Manager
Job Purpose: The Production Engineering NPI (New Product Introduction) Team Leader role is focussed on design for manufacturing principles to allow successful and efficient product introduction into production. Sitting between production and engineering this role is the main technical interface between the two and also includes post design support work for existing products in production. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for liaising with the engineering, production and project teams to achieve the successful introduction of new products and the continued production support of our diverse product range.
1. Working with in-house design teams to ensure smooth and optimised product introduction into manufacturing and production readiness for prototype builds.
2. To manage a team of production engineers located in both engineering and production areas
3. Providing & Coordinating DFM (Design for Manufacture) and DFT (Design for Test) inputs on NPI designs.
4. Obtaining and coordinating all production documentation / deliverables for NPI.
5. Coordinating and providing production support for released products through their complete life-cycle.
6. Working with the Test, Service & Repair team on service strategies & requirements for NPI.
7. Defining the assembly process to meet project, product and supply targets.
8. Pre & post production engineering reviews.
9. Continued support for legacy products via the production quality process to maintain manufacturability.
10. Initiating & coordinating engineering changes in production.
11. Fully contribute to the process of continuous improvements and company defect goals in accordance with ISO9001 certified quality management systems requirements.
12. Implementing and maintaining a high standard of new product documentation, created within engineering for use within production and ensuring full traceability.
13. Implementation of ECN’s (Engineering Change Notes) to products and product documentation.
14. Manage development and ongoing support for in-house custom test equipment and associated software.
15. Provides guidance on different approaches to development and delivery of solutions/systems that could yield better results.
16. Follows and communicates understanding of production procedures, processes and technical documentation.
17. Promote and manage efficient use of Engineering test facilities (EMC, Environmental, etc.) to achieve NPI goals.
18. Works autonomously within established procedures and practices.
Core Company-wide Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti-Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related.
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Marketing team or Companywide.
4. To maintain an update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc.
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style.
Dimensions of the Role
The Team: Direct management of the Production Engineering Group that reports into Engineering and combines the Production Engineering Support groups currently comprising of 3 to 5 engineers.
Travel: Not expected.
• Degree qualified with an electronics and systems background or combination of relevant education and work related experience within an NPI Environment.
• Extensive experience of the full product lifecycle
• Excellent project management, organisational and interpersonal skills in relation to NPI engineering tasks.
• Applicants should have previous experience of working with electronics within the manufacturing industry
• Experience of lean manufacturing, product routings and workflows.
• Proven experience of managing the transfer of products from engineering to production
• Proven experience in both mechanical and electrical “Design for Manufacture”
• Proven experience of developing automated and semi-automated test equipment
• Proven experience of managing a team of Engineers and prioritising their workload, setting clear objectives and ensuring they are trained and developed in order to undertake their roles competently
• Comprehensive understanding of EMC principles and their application to the NPI process.
• Understanding of software development
• Understanding of relevant IPC standards.
• Competent user of Microsoft Office Suite in particular Outlook, Excel and Word
• Good time management.
• Excellent attention to detail to maintain or exceed the high levels of production standards and efficiency.
• Excellent attention to detail in relation to oral and written communication.
• Facilitator and Negotiator – key element of role is the bringing together of cross functional teams and finding solutions to problems quickly.
• Ability to fully contribute to the process of continuous improvements.
• Understands skills and experience of team members and key processes in relevant business area.
• Ability to analyse, set, communicate, agree and implement targets.
• Pragmatic person with the ability to see others perspective.
• Able to plan priorities, schedule multiple streams of work and delegate effectively
• Able to apply varied influencing styles to meet needs/goals
• Able to build trust and effective working relationships cross functionally and at all levels
• Able to think laterally and seek alternate options
• Able to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment/situation
• Able to remain calm under pressure and continue to achieve in the face of setbacks
• Good written and verbal communication skills