Job Title: Production Controller
Based: Blackbushe, Yateley, UK
Reporting To: Master Production Scheduler
Job Purpose: To coordinate and report on the production fulfilment process and material schedule to meet the Sales & Production Plan schedule.
1. Review and release daily job card confirmations on Syspro, ensuring kits are flowing through stores on-time, free from material shortages if possible, before issue and checking with the Change Co-ordinator if there are any Engineering Change Notes (ECN) affecting build.
2. Review weekly “the sales plan” for the next 2 weeks, updating job descriptions as necessary, informing on issues affecting shipping of sales orders, reporting on both internal and external shortages. Follow up actions to report to key stakeholders, by email or by a report, showing progress in solving issues effecting shipment of sales orders weekly.
3. Monitor picklist picking sequence report, targeting required kits especially related to sales orders one week ahead of build requirement date. Reporting any “at risk” kits to the Master Production Scheduler (MPS) by email.
4. On a daily basis monitor progress and review job cards in Work In Progress, using ‘Work-to-Lists” ensuring any overdue work is either moved out by informing the MPS of said issues or by liaising with the Production Manager to implement “how to catch up” actions if possible.
5. To be the key contact for manufacturing issues for the materials team, providing feedback on shortages, production issues, quality issues and sales order changes, Communicating and meeting the relevant stakeholders and producing an overview report to the MPS on a weekly basis.
6. Conduct weekly meetings with the Sales Admin Manager and Production Manager gathering information, updates on production and material supply affecting the next week’s sales order shipments and summarise this information in an email or report to key stakeholders.
7. Work closely with the Senior Project Planner in deciding priorities for machine shop/materials and build. Escalating any issues to the MPS by email.
8. Progress chasing internal jobs required for sales orders, negotiating with the Production Manager and Cell Co-ordinators of various departments to ensure accurate completion times offering help as required.
9. Internal and external progress chasing, to generate regular reports using the MRP system to produce an accurate overview of placed orders, identifying shortages and delays and issues directly impacting production schedules.
10. Liaise directly, via telephone or face-to-face, with suppliers (both external and internal) and progress purchase orders or internal jobs to satisfy requirements. To understand the reason for the delays and ascertain adjusted delivery dates, escalating outstanding issues to the Production Planning Dept and Purchasing Management.
11. Receive information from Production Planning Dept, Buyers, Production staff, Stores and Engineering regarding rescheduled materials requirements, incorrect supply of components, adjusted order levels, engineering change notes etc. Ensure suppliers are fully aware of the new commitments and can supply against new timescales to the quality levels required by Sonardyne.
12. Accurately update all transactions onto Syspro with dates and appropriate notations added to works orders ensuring all Syspro users have a comprehensive view of materials orders and deliveries.
13. Maintain excellent working relationships with internal departments i.e. Production, Purchasing, Planning, Quality, Sales Ordering, Engineering, Accounts etc. ensuring a timely and accurate provision of materials and communication of any issues that may impact on operational efficiency.
14. Help regularly review current operating procedures in conjunction with other key stakeholders with the aim of suggesting improvements. (i.e. system improvements and enhancements to existing practices).
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees’ health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
3. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
4. To participate in the Sonardyne continuous improvement process, through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc. within your team and any areas of the Company
5. To maintain and update professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development, including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc.
6. To keep up-to-date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
Dimensions of the Role:
Team: A member of the Planning Department which comprises of a Master Production Scheduler, Senior Project Planner & Change Co-ordinator
Staff Responsibility: None
Size and Scope: Sonardyne currently holds in excess of £7m worth of stock and has over 20,000 stock items.
Volume of Job Cards: Approx 2500 job cards per year
• Proven experience of production planning/scheduling in a Manufacturing/Engineering environment
• Strong knowledge and practical experience in MRP systems (ideally SYSPRO or SAP, Oracle etc)
• A sound understanding and knowledge of mechanical/electrical stock items
• Good IT skills including Microsoft Outlook and Excel
• Planning and organising skills
• Attention to detail
• Good communication skills written and verbal
• Ability to work with others
• Strong customer orientation
• Ability to negotiate and influence
• Persuasive skills
• Good level of numeracy
• Analytical skills