What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
This is a dynamic position that will provide an exciting opportunity to join Sonardyne’s expanding Maritime Security group. As an experienced Product Design Engineer you will be involved in the innovation and development of new concepts and systems into the marine security and defence markets.
– Manage the entire product development process from initial concepts to market release.
– Design and develop new & existing products to internal and external customer driven specifications. Engaging with internal commercial/technical teams, aligning product development to the business roadmap and customer/market requirements.
– Verify and validate electro-mechanical designs using classical hand calculations, finite element analysis and experimental testing. This may involve assembly of mechanical prototypes, environmental and type approval testing as required on a project basis.
– Work closely with the Quality and Production Planning teams to ensure a smooth and timely deliverable is achieved.
– Work collaboratively with existing and new suppliers.
– To act as subject matter expert post-product design.
– To maintain product documentation in compliance with ISO9001. Documentation contained within the department includes electronic and paper based records in a number of different systems.
– To contribute to the development of new working processes, practices, methods and equipment to improve efficiency levels, reduce costs etc.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE:
– Ability to verify designs using hand calculations
– Finite element analysis – ideally ANSYS
– Advanced 3D CAD modelling experience – preferably Autodesk Inventor CAD Experience
– An understanding of networked systems and TCP/IP
– Sonar systems knowledge is desirable but not essential
– Demonstrable experience in creating innovative products, designs and solutions.
– Recent and strong experience, expertise and capability in commercial product development, delivery and ongoing support.
– Experience of working within subsea instrumentation design including material selection and pressure vessel design.
– Experience in developing products for CE/LVD compliance with knowledge of relevant codes, standards and applicable regulations.
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We always try to keep our salaries competitive and offer a modest benefits package:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Holiday purchase scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced maternity pay scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements scheme
- Discretionary performance related pay scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk