Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Chief Mechanical Engineer
To utilise analytical and experimental methods to provide design support within the Electro-Mechanical Design (EMD) department.
1. To undertake experiments and provide reports as part of the environmental type testing of products, including pressure tests, accelerated life testing, shock, vibration and drop testing, under the guidance of the Design Engineers.
2. To conduct applicable tests, with guidance and support from the Design Engineers, in order to determine the performance of new and existing acoustic transducer designs and report on the results.
3. To assist Design Engineers with the assembly of prototype mechanics, to include subsea electronic packages, piezo electric transducers and composite moulding.
4. Provide support to the production & quality departments with regards to mechanical inspection / observation reports / change notes.
5. To create mechanical piece part and assembly drawings, wiring diagrams and PCB assembly drawings that can be used for test equipment, prototypes, production etc.
6. To carry out investigative work into in-service product failures, under the direction of a Senior Engineer, and identify and document potential remedial solutions in a timely and cost effective manner.
7. To carry out classical hand calculations for stress and perform static and dynamic finite element analysis to support Design Engineers in the development of new products.
8. To verify and validate design schemes as part of the design review process, through the use of hand calculations for mechanical and thermal tolerancing.
9. To provide administrative support within the EMD group as required, with product structuring, specification documents, updating of registers, production documentation, assisting with archiving etc.
10. To liaise with external suppliers and internal Sonardyne functions such as Subsea Product Development, Production, Quality, Machine Shop and Materials Control regarding material characteristics, availability, costs, alternatives, producability etc.
11. To proactively develop personal knowledge and understanding of the latest technological and product advances and share these across the Electro-Mechanical Design (EMD) Group and the wider Engineering function to address emerging engineering needs.
Core Company-WIDE PERSONAL Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all staff in the EMD Group, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees’ health & safety or others’, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related.
3. To facilitate EMD Group contributions to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process, through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the EMD Group, Engineering Function or any areas of the Company
4. To maintain and update EMD Group technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct reports
Budget Responsibility: N/A
Project Parameters: Internal & external projects with varying timescales
Product Coverage: Sonardyne’s full product portfolio
Customer Profiles: Customers cover all Sonardyne market sectors with the majority in Oil/Gas and Maritime Security
Travel Requirements: Limited: Occasional international and UK travel (in exceptional circumstances offshore, subject to regulatory requirements)
• Educated to degree level (MEng) as a minimum in Mechanical Engineering
• Good practical understanding of mechanical engineering design
• Basic understanding of subsea engineering and acoustics desirable
• Knowledge of pressure vessel design
• Theoretical and practical awareness/understanding of material science and corrosion
• QMS/ISO Engineering standards and requirements
• Experience of 3D CAD – preferably Autodesk Inventor
• Experience of conducting classical hand calculations
• Basic experience of finite element analysis – preferably ANSYS
• Experience of setting up and conducting testing and experiments
• Report writing
• Basic understanding of project management
• Proven ability to deliver results through others, demonstrating adaptive leadership and effective team management in a commercially technical environment
• Experience of liaising directly with all levels of seniority both internally and externally
• Experience of complying with QMS methods and standards throughout a product/system development lifecycle
• Competent user in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, CRM, Project)
• Strong Work Organisation: planning, prioritisation, multi-tasking and delegation
• Excellent Communications: both verbal and written
• Ability to direct, develop and motivate others
• Achievement Orientation: goals/standards setting, drive, tenacity
• Analytical/Evaluative approach
• Problem resolution: general and technical
• Decisiveness and Decision Quality (analysis + judgement)
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk