Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire UK
Head of Financial Planning & Analysis / Head of Financial Control
Responsible for producing the Management Accounts for the Company, by managing key internal financial processes and control points to ensure the integrity of the balance sheet and the financial statements.
- 1) To produce the multi-currency consolidated management accounts for Sonardyne Group and Sonardyne International on a monthly basis, including commentary, by the sixth working day.
- 2) To produce the Sonardyne International flash report on the first working day of the month for inclusion in the Group flash report.
- 3) To perform the company bookkeeping for Sonardyne International including ownership of prepayments, accruals, and recurring journals.
- 4) To ensure the integrity of the balance sheet by preparing, or reviewing, all reconciliations on a monthly basis, including primary responsibility for all stock and work in progress accounts, and provision accounts – stock, warranty, sales, etc.
- 5) To provide in-depth analysis and reports on the Company’s consolidated sales and margin by a variety of different analysis fields, which include market, product group, geographic area and customer. This involves a detailed review of all sales invoicing, ensuring the correct revenue recognition and correct allocation of cost of sales.
- 6) To undertake variance analysis of Sonardyne International’s overhead expenditure by cost centre, including regular communication, advice and reviews with the cost centre managers. Checking for coding errors and correcting through general ledger journals. Following up on variances to budget and unbudgeted spend. Providing feedback to the Heads of Finance.
- 7) To participate in the quarterly and annual budgeting and forecasting process. This may involve the preparation of cost centre budget packs, financial schedules and cashflow forecast, in collaboration with the Head of Financial Planning & Analysis.
- 8) To be involved in new system developments and to drive forward process improvements in order to improve efficiency.
- 9) To manage key internal financial processes within inventory and Work In Progress (WIP), including the standard costing system. This will involve updating the standard costs of purchased parts, made in parts and sub-contract operations and the updating of work centre labour rates. Variances (including purchase price and job variances.
- 10) To lead and manage the Company’s annual stocktake. This will require ownership of the process, from planning and organisation, through to deployment and analysis of the results.
- 11) To ensure the integrity and validity of the financial data from the Engineering Project System. This will encompass reviewing all new projects and tasks to ensure they are authorised and created within Company guidelines, liaising with engineers to ensure all project time bookings are correct and completed in a timely manner and the ongoing review and updating of the project costing rates, as well as checking the project material costs for correct allocation to either Profit and Loss or Capital.
- 12) To generate an annual Research and Development tax claim and annual Patent Box claim, in collaboration with the Financial Accountant, seeking to gain significant tax savings, using knowledge and analysis of the business financial data.
- 13) To manage the Fixed Asset Register. This involves updating the ERP system with additions, disposals and tracking of assets to new users/locations, liaising with staff to assign asset stickers and record the correct serial numbers ensuring valid CapEx authorisations are received with all supporting documentation. Monthly posting of the depreciation and reconciliations to the general ledger is also required.
14) Cross training to provide cover for other members of the finance team as required.
Core Company-wide Responsibilities
- 1) To promote a ‘safety-first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with Customer and Sonardyne Company policies, procedures and practices relating to Occupational Health & Safety and Environment, including completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, undertaking training and communication re safe working instructions, incident investigations etc and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health and safety, or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
- 2) To actively contribute to the Company’s continuous improvement process through presentation of corrective actions, suggestions or initiatives focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, customer satisfaction and employee morale throughout Sonardyne.
- 3) To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
- 4) To establish, maintain and promote effective working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning and a collaborative working style.
- 5) To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures, including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, ISO-QMS, Financial, Commercial and Operational.
- 6) To maintain technical and professional job competencies (qualifications, knowledge and personal skills) through continuous development activities including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional networks, literature reviews etc.
Dimensions of the Role:
Team: Working within a finance team of 7
Office Base: Based in the UK head office
Travel: No travel is expected
Work Volumes: Stock holdings of £7m and Work in Progress of £2m, Over 10,000 active stock parts and over 1,000 live Work in Progress jobs
* Degree qualified in a business related discipline
* ACCA/CIMA Newly qualified
* Accounting standards and financial statutory requirements
* Company bookkeeping
* In-depth knowledge of Business Processes within a Financial context e.g. differing roles within Finance, context and impact of own role and the department etc.
* Understanding of Business Processes within an Engineering or Manufacturing environment e.g. Finance’s interaction with manufacturing processes, tracking and analysis of material/project costs etc. (desirable)
* Knowledge of costing techniques (eg standard costing, average costing, etc)
* R&D Tax legislation (desirable)
* Knowledge of revenue recognition and margin analysis
* Experience of Management accounting, ideally within an Engineering or Manufacturing environment
* Advanced Microsoft Office skills (in particular, pivot tables, VLOOKUPs and charts within Excel)
* Strong experience of ERP systems (Syspro, SAP, Oracle, etc.)
* Experience within a corporate/commercial environment for a multinational organisation (desirable)
* Excellent analytical skills
* Strong level of numeracy
* Attention to detail
* Inquisitive by nature with a desire to understand how individual processes impact the wider Company context and how they can be improved
* Proven ability to communicate and collaborate with finance and non-finance colleagues at all levels within an organisation
* Team player
* Ability to meet deadlines, whilst also dealing with interruptions and changing priorities
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk