Job Title: Global Business Manager – Marine Vessel Systems
Reporting To: Sales & Marketing Director
Based: Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Job Purpose: To achieve sustainable profitable growth in Sonardyne’s vessel related business through the development of strategic direction and identification of investment opportunities, focussed business development efforts, co-ordinated worldwide direct sales and marketing activities, integrated engineering and commercial collaboration and a dedication to exceeding customer expectations.
1. To formulate, agree and communicate market level strategies which are aligned with overall Company mid to long term strategy, including:
2. To define strategic objectives for the market sector.
3. To develop a five year business plan with rolling annual reviews.
4. To define and develop new market opportunities for long term growth.
5. To identify and present of fully researched and business-plan-supported opportunities for internal and external investment.
6. To develop and maintain a technical and commercial risk register.
Market Sector Performance
7. To develop and agree an annual sales forecast in collaboration with regional sales management and sales teams.
8. To review and report quarterly on progress against sales forecast identifying variances and issues and developing remedial actions for implementation.
9. To report commercial performance including written board report submissions, market information packs etc.
10. To evaluate and report on return on investment and commercial success or failure of market initiatives and product development utilising available financial information.
11. To develop effective sales strategies and marketing initiatives in collaboration with regional sales management, sales teams and central marketing, to achieve the marine vessel systems market sector business plan targets and objectives.
12. To gather, analyse and communicate market intelligence data impacting marine vessel systems throughout the Company including market size, emerging applications, technology requirements, competitor activities, product comparisons, pricing sensitivities etc.
13. To ensure regional sales teams and other customer facing staff are supplied with tools to maximise business success, consistency of message and Company including proposal templates, CRM reports, data sheets, presentations etc.
14. To identify and implement where appropriate, strategies to manage multi-national corporation purchasing arrangements and/or partnership agreements to facilitate a consistent companywide approach.
15. To be the commercial stakeholder in the engineering development process, owning requirements approval, driving delivery schedules.
16. To provide commercial leadership to development teams delivering proof of concept or pre-production projects.
Customer Relationship Management / Fulfilment Management
17. To develop and maintain strong working relationships with key individuals within Sonardyne’s top ten existing customers in the market sector (as measured by sales revenue).
18. To target and develop business relationships with key individuals within Sonardyne’s top five target companies in the market sector (as defined by sales growth potential or long term strategic importance).
19. To enhance the reputation and profile of Sonardyne in the market sector, promoting the Company’s name, brand and capabilities through active networking and participation with trade bodies, institutions/societies etc., conference presentations, publication of papers and delivery of innovative targeted marketing initiatives.
20. To develop and regularly review business processes to ensure maximum customer fulfilment including post-delivery follow up.
21. To provide assistance to the regional sales teams with sales proposals and provide advice on tactics for major/strategic impact sales activities.
22. To provide global co-ordination of sales activities ensuring opportunities requiring international cooperation are handled professionally, efficiently and seamlessly with respect to the end customer.
23. To route any potential commercial opportunities to the relevant sales teams for follow up and progress of sale.
24. To report and review the market sector business sales performance in conjunction with regional updates at the weekly sales meetings.
25. To promote a sense of team spirit, motivation and collaboration amongst staff directly and indirectly engaged in activities to deliver beyond Sonardyne business expectations and customer requirements.
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct line management
Collaboration: Global Business Manager – Marine Robotic Systems, Global Business Manager – Ocean Science, Business Manager – Maritime Security & Defence
Market Sector Coverage: Marine Vessel Systems: includes: DP position reference input, drilling systems, ship fit sonar systems, vessel remote health monitoring systems, and other ship fit sensors addressing the marine industry in the broadest sense; from commercial shipping to naval: oil and gas support vessels, drilling, ocean science, defence, cruise ship superyacht sectors.
Customer Profiles: Oil Companies, Drilling Contractors, Rig Owners, Shipyards, DP Manufacturers, Vessel owners, Specialist Offshore Contractors,
Travel: Approx. 40 days per annum away from work base: visits to UK /international Regional Offices, strategic sales support visits and major international conferences /exhibitions
Qualifications / Knowledge / Experience
• Engineering or relevant technology related degree level education or equivalent business experience
• A comprehensive understanding of vessel systems technology and its global market
• Knowledge of the subsea technology markets
• Proven experience of developing commercial market perspectives and creation of business
• Experience of business plan compilation
• Experience in successfully influencing across indirect resources and multi-disciplines to achieve business plan targets and objectives
• Proven experience of applying business and commercial acumen to identify new business opportunities
• Demonstrable experience of technical business development
• Proven experience of establishing and promoting a customer orientated culture
• Proven experience of building new and maintaining existing networks of effective business relationships within and external to the organisation
• Proficient in establishing and maintaining personal and organisational credibility and expertise at all business levels
• Customer & people focused
• Achievement orientation
• Effective communication: both verbal and written
• Work organisation: planning, prioritising, multi-tasking and controlling
• Analytical and evaluative approach
• Solutions focussed
• Change orientation with emphasis on continuous improvement
• Ability to make objective decisions