Electronics Design Engineer – we are recruiting for two new Electronics Design Engineers
Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
SUB Group Team Leader
Using electronics hardware and firmware skills to design, develop and support new and updated subsea acoustic products and systems, utilising the latest in innovative techniques and processes and securing maximum collaboration across the Company in order to deliver internal and customer led requirements in a timely and cost effective manner.
1. To create detailed design specifications encompassing hardware, software and firmware for new and modified/updated products and systems, through the interpretation of High Level requirements generated as a result of market demand, specific customer requests or engineering initiatives.
2. To drive the development of designs into safe, reliable and robust working products/systems by taking part in the design and review stages of electronics hardware, firmware and test jigs.
3. To develop and maintain excellent communication channels across the Company including Engineering, Production, Materials Control, Customer Support etc to influence the progress and success of the development cycle.
4. To produce analytical and support documentation for all designs, from engineering drawings, test specifications and procedures, analysis of test data, change control, trials plans and trials reports, to product manuals and updates for quarterly Company Board Reports. All documentation is to be created in accordance with the Company Quality procedures.
5. To familiarise and inform key internal departments e.g. Customer Support, Production, Survey Support Group etc regarding new product/system design specifications and features as well as demonstrating an understanding of the application of the products/systems.
6. To provide specialist product support to internal employees and external customers for new and existing products where required.
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Marketing team or Companywide
4. To maintain and update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, selfdirected learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews.
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions and Scope of the Role:
Team: A member of the SUB group team comprising of a mixture of electronics and firmware design / development engineers. No direct supervision of staff
Travel: Occasional UK and International travel. In a typical year this may involve up to 2 offsite visits of 1 week to the Plymouth trials facility.
– Educated to degree level i.e. BSc/BEng or equivalent qualification in a related discipline; such as Electronics, Physics or Computer Science
– Educated to A Level or above in Maths
Experience in these areas is required
– Good understanding of the full software development cycle
– Digital electronic hardware design
– Strong C and/or C++ skills in an embedded, multi-threaded POSIX RTOS environment
– Experience of hardware/software interfacing
– Experience in the design and development of embedded software
– Low-level communications experience e.g. TCP/IP, RS232/485, USB
– FPGA design and interfacing
– Linux experience
– Windows development experience (Visual Studio .NET; C# )
– Exposure to different development methodologies
– Embedded Webserver development
– Analogue electronic hardware design
– Excellent time management skills with the ability to work on multiple issues/designs in parallel
– Strong communicator both written and verbal
– Flexible approach
– Team player
– Highly motivated
– Good planning and organising skills, including work organisation e.g. prioritising and multi-tasking
– Personal drive and determination to achieve even against tight deadlines
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk