What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
This is a dynamic position that will provide an exciting opportunity to join Sonardyne’s expanding Doppler Group. As a Development Engineer you will be heavily involved in the development and enhancement of Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP) products. While the focus of the role is embedded software development, you will gain exposure to many other related areas such as electronics hardware, firmware, and desktop software. You will further have the opportunity to contribute to research and development activity, helping to steer the next generation of ADCPs.
- Develop and enhance our ADCP codebase
- Work with Doppler Group team members to deliver reliable and robust software
- Highlight areas for improvement and/or suggest new innovations to enhance our ADCP products
- Testing new features
- Reporting on development and testing
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- A passion for software development
- Strong existing ability in C/C++, ideally in embedded systems
- The ability to understand physical world concepts and implement them in software
- Proactivity to solve problems
- Excellent communication skills to inform Doppler Group members about development work undertaken
- Enthusiasm for software innovation and the technical skills to implement new ideas
- One to two years’ development experience in C/C++
- Knowledge of version control (e.g. git, svn, cvs)
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We keep our salaries competitive and offer a modest benefits package:
- 25 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness Absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced Maternity Pay Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements Scheme
- Discretionary Performance Related Pay Scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Ready to join the team…? …then e-mail your CV and cover letter to the HR.TEAM@SONARDYNE.COM
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.