Customer Support Field Engineer
Technical Operations Manager
To provide accurate and thorough world class technical support across the full range of Sonardyne’s product portfolio, delivered to all external customers worldwide both onshore and offshore in a safe manner at all times, whilst also assisting the Company’s internal training, product development and commercial processes with product familiarisation to fellow Company colleagues, timely feedback on product performance and identification of new sales opportunities, resulting in increased levels of business for Sonardyne and the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
- 1. To install, commission, service and repair the full range of Sonardyne products on customer premises, rigs, vessels and dockyards worldwide, in accordance with Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- 2. To understand, observe and apply a ‘safety first’ approach at all times, complying with Company policies, procedures and practices relating to Occupational Health & Safety, including all provisions in the Sonardyne Safety System (SMS01/ SMS02) eg completion of risk assessment, wearing of PPE, following Safe Working Practice instructions, undertaking H&S training and escalation of any observations of activities or aspects that could adversely impact employees’ health and safety and the safety of others resulting from personal or Sonardyne work activities.
- 3. To comply with all Customer mandatory Health & Safety rules, whether onshore or offshore, as advised via HSE scope of work, pre-work inspections, tool-box talks and specific on-site requirements, reporting back to Sonardyne Management where incidents occur and escalating instances where risk to personal health and safety is identified.
- 4. To manage all customer relationships pro-actively, through detailed updates of work carried out, comprehensive customer familiarisation with product/equipment and timely escalation and detailed descriptions of product, system and customer problems routed through the Customer Service/Operations team, second line engineering technical specialist support or Management where appropriate.
- 5. To submit regular and comprehensive communications ie updates and documentation eg Visit Reports and raising Support Cases using the CRM system during, and on completion of, offshore and onshore assignments.
- 6. To identify new sales opportunities and customer service initiatives to the Customer Service/Operations team through observation and direct liaison with customers during scheduled visits or trouble-shooting activities.
- 7. To provide technical expertise in the form of support telephone calls and electronic system support direct to customers, or on-call support when necessary.
- 8. To evaluate, test, analyse and correct failures of incoming products in a workshop environment.
- 9. To carry out tests on, adjustment of and repair if necessary, PCBs, chassis and final assemblies of Sonardyne products as prioritised by customer demand in co-ordination with departmental supervision and sales administration.
- 10. To perform component level modification to PCBs in accordance with engineering changes notes.
- 11. To provide support in the absence of the Technical Operations Manager when requested
- 12. To promote good working practice in all tasks and responsibilities.
- 13. To assist, when required, other support engineers in the completion of their tasks
- 14. To have sufficient operational knowledge of the company’s business systems to satisfy the Repair Department’s activities. To work within administrative procedures and maintain records within the Repair and Test Department.
CORE COMPANY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To promote a ‘safety-first’ culture, ensuring strict compliance with Customer and Sonardyne Company policies, procedures and practices relating to Occupational Health & Safety and Environment, including completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, undertaking training and communication re safe working instructions, incident investigations etc and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health and safety, or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities.
- 2. To actively contribute to the Company’s continuous improvement process through presentation of corrective actions, suggestions or initiatives focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, customer satisfaction and employee morale throughout Sonardyne.
- 3. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications.
- 4. To establish, maintain and promote effective working relationships across the Company based on positive two-way communications, planning and a collaborative working style.
- 5. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures, including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, ISO-QMS, Financial, Commercial and Operational.
- 6. To maintain technical and professional job competencies (qualifications, knowledge and personal skills) through continuous development activities including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional networks, literature reviews etc.
Dimensions of the Role
Staff Responsibility: No direct supervision of staff
Budget responsibility: No budget responsibility
Travel: Worldwide but mainly Asia Pacific Region and travel to the Head Office in the UK. Often deploying at short notice and therefore a valid passport must be held at all times
Product Support: Complete range of Sonardyne product portfolio
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Apprenticeship/HNC/HND/ITE/DIPLOMA or equivalent further education level relevant to country of education)
- Awareness of basic mechanical engineering principles
- Up to date Offshore Survival Course certification
- Up to date medical clearance for offshore working and medical fit for offshore job
- Basic understanding of acoustic principles and effects of various aspects on acoustic product performance
- Experience of offshore working eg confined spaces, inclement weather, sole operator, challenging customers, low housekeeping/cleanliness environments, varied cultural backgrounds etc
- Ability to work in confined spaces and on a sea-based operation without severe personal effects
- Ability to demonstrate understanding and application of relevant safe-working practices and vigilant operation within Health & Safety systems of work
- Ability to demonstrate genuine customer orientation
- Experience of installation, repair, service and commission of equipment interfacing with other products and systems
- Ability to understand and apply Standard Operating Procedures
- Experience of fault diagnosis involving hardware and software
- Understanding and application of communication protocols RS232/RS485/IP
- Working knowledge of test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-meters, cable testers
- Proven ability to write internal Company Visit Reports and bespoke ‘How to’ manuals for customer use on vessels, rigs etc
- IT literacy to operate laptop equipment and interpret data results
- Ability to understand and use CRM IT systems to support offshore reporting to the Company and raise Support Cases onshore and offshore etc
- Self reliant
- Self confidence
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Logical, analytical and evaluative approach
- Technical problem solving orientation and ability
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written including technical translation to customers where English may not be the first language
- Adaptability and flexibility
IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CONTACTED WITHIN 4 WEEKS OF THE CLOSING DATE, YOU SHOULD ASSUME YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL.
No agencies please.