Commercial Contracts Manager
Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
Head of Risk and Compliance
To take a leading role in identifying, analysing and managing business and compliance risk and to draft, critically evaluate and agree robust terms and conditions for commercial contracts covering products and services supplied by, and to, the Sonardyne Group of Companies.
1. To provide specialist legal advice, guidance and expertise on commercial contractual matters including sales contracts, licensing agreements, procurement agreements, collaboration agreements, consulting agreements, master service agreements, mutual indemnity agreements and any other legal agreements which may require attention/action.
2. To ensure that standard T & C’s are current, relevant, appropriate and compliant with international legislative/regulatory requirements, supporting and protecting Sonardyne, its international subsidiaries and its business worldwide.
3. To analyse and evaluate customer-proposed contractual T & C’s , identifying variations from Company standard contractual provisions and practice, specifically identifying deviation from policy and highlighting actual and potential risk to the Company e.g. unlimited or substantial liability, IP security and warranty exposure.
4. To advise senior management on the legal implications of merger and acquisition activity, being responsible for drafting and negotiating contractual and supporting documentation, planning and leading contract due diligence and managing the implications thereof.
5. To undertake research into relevant country-specific regulations pertinent to contractual obligations, including but not limited to Anti Bribery, Competition and Data Protection laws in order to understand and advise on the extent of current Company conformance and consequences of contractual agreement.
6. To liaise with external contacts e.g. insurance specialists and lawyers to clarify issues and obtain advice, guidance and specialist information necessary to understand and influence the contractual agreement process.
7. To provide detailed recommendations, options and contract amendments to commercial staff and general management involved in the negotiation process with existing and potential customers and to liaise directly with customers, where appropriate, to clarify terms, communicate Sonardyne’s position and achieve satisfactory contractual agreement.
8. To maintain contractual records and documentation for all non-standard sales contracts including contract correspondence, policy deviations, tracked contractual changes, status reports and signed agreements.
9. To operate within the boundaries of the Company policies, procedures and practices for contract management and administration for use throughout the Sonardyne Group.
10. To contribute as part of the Risk and Compliance team to the awareness, understanding, knowledge and development of commercial acumen especially regarding contractual matters amongst senior management, commercial staff, project management and business support functions throughout the Sonardyne Group via regular updates and formal learning events.
11. To work collaboratively with other internal Company Departments such as Finance, Sales Admin, HSE, HR etc. to ensure understanding, scope and compliance with contractual requirements relating to insurance, export controls, occupational health, tax implications and employee obligations etc.
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Marketing team or Companywide
4. To maintain an update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions & Scope of the Role
Staff responsibility: No direct supervision of staff
Team structure: Working alongside Head of Risk and Compliance, 1 x Contracts Manager and 1 x RAC Projects Co-ordinator forming the current Risk and Compliance team
Contract scope: Mergers and Acquisitions agreements, Sales contracts, procurement agreements, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, consulting agreements, master service agreements, collaboration, mutual indemnity agreements etc
Contract value: Up to £5m
Customer profiles: Oil majors, Offshore Oil & Gas operating companies, Government bodies, and major systems integrators.
Geographical remit: Worldwide business relationships
Main Sonardyne Group international subsidiaries based in Houston, Singapore and Brasil
Travel: Limited UK travel
Qualifications / Knowledge / Experience
• Strong academic background
• Demonstrable experience in a Commercial/Contracts Manager role showing up to date knowledge and application of commercial Contract Law applicable to a broad range of commercial agreements and contracts either within private practice or in-house
• Prior knowledge and experience of commercial contract requirements in the IT, oil and gas, maritime security, defence and oceanographic sectors preferred/desirable
• Experience in mergers and acquisitions and the related due diligence activities.
• Proven experience of contract evaluation and negotiation within a commercial environment
• Experience of international commercial law contracts involving cross border transactions.
• Proficient in legal contractual drafting
• Proven ability to clearly explain legal risks and technicalities
• Experience of developing sound risk mitigation strategies and creative solutions to legal and commercial issues within acceptable legal and risk frameworks
• Experience of working independently, with large amounts of detailed information, delivering accurate results, in tight timescales.,
• Experience of working with commercial staff, project management and senior management advising and influencing contractual negotiations
• Direct customer liaison experience
• Collaborative working style
• Effective Communicator: both verbal and written skills
• Analytical and evaluative approach
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proven organisational skills: including planning, prioritisation and multi-tasking
• Emotional resilience – ability to cope under pressure created by complexity of work, quantity of workload, tight timescales and, on occasions, ambiguity of requirements