Blackbushe, Yateley, Hampshire
who are we looking for?
An experienced Buyer to manage the purchasing process for assigned Mechanical and Electronic products in an accurate, cost-effective and timely manner, ensuring suppliers are fully aware of Company priorities and requirements, in order to meet internal customer purchasing demands.
- 1. To manage the full procurement process of ordering Prototype Mechanical Parts, Fabrications, Electronic PCB’s, Tooling/Jigs and other Miscellaneous parts required for Engineering, Facilities, Production Projects, R&D Projects and/or Sales Order Demand. The process includes Supplier RFI, RFQ/RFT, Placement of PO and Expediting, including the communication of delivery dates to the Requestor and the Planning Team.
2. To manage and prioritise other purchasing demands for non-stock items raised by internal departments (e.g. Engineering, Facilities, Stores, Finance, etc.), through the Purchase Requisition process, ensuring requestors are communicated to regarding updates on delivery, any issues and copy of order.
3. To analyse, action and prioritise allocated purchasing demands generated via the Syspro MRP system to meet Production and Project schedules and other ‘internal’ customer requirements and to ensure quality while pursuing stock holding reductions and price cost down opportunities when purchasing.
4. To obtain quotations, analyse and place orders with suppliers in a timely manner via telephone and/or email, using Preferred Supplier Lists or individually negotiated contracts, ensuring all orders are placed within correct authority levels and are recorded through Syspro, generating Purchase Order Numbers for communication to the originating Department.
5. To communicate with suppliers directly via email and/or telephone to chase outstanding items highlighted by Overdue Reports or advise of changes in Company requirements e.g. engineering project schedule changes, production schedule changes, lead times etc. Escalating where problems are encountered and advising ‘internal customers’ of delays likely to affect projects or business operations.
6. Sourcing, Evaluating and developing new supplier capabilities in line with the Company’s expansion into new products and processes, ensuring adherence to company Procurement policies and procedures. This includes finding suitable suppliers for Non-Standard purchases. Ensure a thorough and comprehensive vetting process is undertaken, including the supplier’s ability to meet HSE, Anti-Bribery, Code of Conduct and DNV/ISO 9001 standards and agreement of terms and conditions.
- 7. To effectively manage supplier relationships, using supplier performance management tools, which may include supplier dashboards/KPI measurement. This includes regularly undertaking visits to existing and new suppliers, initially for new and annually for existing suppliers accompanied by a member of the Quality Department, where necessary, for audit to discuss supplier dashboards on performance, requirements, progress issues, assess supplier processes etc.
8. To attend and represent the Purchasing Department in Engineering/NPI Meetings, communicating any required actions back to the Purchasing Team and working with the relevant stakeholders in these meetings to suggest ideas for improvement to process, manufacture and cost down.
9. To assist with negotiation and management of Supplier Terms and Conditions/Contracts.
10. To investigate and take corrective action to address discrepancies in deliveries of goods, inaccurate paperwork etc. raised internally, ensuring the rejection of items is matched with refunds, replacements or credit arrangements and all activities are logged to create audit trails, using Syspro and other internal administrative procedures.
11. To work alongside the Quality department to help manage supplier quality. This includes raising any supplier reject notes in a timely manner, ensuring any rejects do not affect the continuity of supply and following up on supplier corrective/preventive actions to ensure closure of rejects.
12. To reconcile all documentation for purchases made via Company credit card in an accurate and timely manner.
- 13. To ensure all purchases fully comply with legislative and Company Health, Safety and Environmental procedures and requirements for equipment and materials, including materials data sheets, COSHH, RoHS, substitution risk assessments and CE Marking certification and conformance etc.
- 14. To ensure system data integrity at all times (e.g. accurate lead times, economic buying quantities, pricing etc.), update standard costs on Syspro on a regular basis, ensure OBs raised are continually monitored for progress and adhere to all DNV/ISO 9001 and Company administrative procedures and processes.
- 15. To build and maintain excellent working relationships with other internal Departments across the Company, including Engineering, Stores, Finance, Production, Production Planning, based on strong two-way communication and a collaborative style of working, ensuring feedback is given on progress of purchases and any issues.
- 16. To take part in annual stock take activities.
17. To carry out any other tasks that may be required within the Purchasing Department and to cover for other buyers in their absence e.g. for holiday, sickness etc.
- DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE:
- Authority Levels: Buyer Authority up to £2000 per Purchase Order. Authority structure in place for spend higher than this.
Stock: The Company operates over 12,000 active stock codes
Range of Stock: Items to be purchased range from small value stock to large value non-stock items
Order volume: 5 – 30 orders per day to be placed
Purchasing scope: Mainly for our UK Head office, plus USA and Asia operations
Travel: Some travel to suppliers in the UK
- Team: A member of the Purchasing Team, which will comprise of the Purchasing Manager, 2 Buyers, and Expeditor/Assistant Buyer. The Purchasing Team form part of the Materials Control Team which includes the Planning Department
ARE YOU THE IDEAL CANDIDATE?
- CIPS qualification desirable
- Knowledge and practical experience of MRP systems essential (Syspro 7+ ideal )
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electronic drawings with a good understanding of engineering materials and processes essential
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods and processes, for both Mechanical and Electronic parts
- IT literate, with the ability to utilise the MS Office suite including Outlook and Word. Excel knowledge essential
- Knowledge of Project Management, NPI and Prototype processes
- Considerable experience of purchasing within a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrable experience in the procurement of Mechanical and Electronics parts, including R&D Parts, Prototype, First Time Production Build and NPI
- Experience of effective collaborative working with colleagues from other functions, including the ability to influence key stakeholders
- Experience in effectively organising workload, including planning, delegation, prioritisation and multi-tasking
- Experience in Supplier/Customer negotiation
- Experience in the management of supplier quality, including a sound knowledge of ISO 9001 (2015) requirements
- Proven experience in effective Supplier Relationship Management, using Supplier Performance Management Tools, such as supplier scorecards/dashboards
- Experience in the Negotiation and Management of Supplier Terms and Conditions
- Knowledge of Legal and Compliance requirements within Procurement
- Strong work organisation skills
- Customer orientation: both internal and external
- Motivated and results driven
- Assertive, displaying excellent communication skills at all levels
- Ability to work well with others – a team player
- Excellent Listener and Approachable
- Works well under pressure
- Driving Licence Essential
WHAT SONARDYNE OFFER:
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We always try to keep our salaries competitive and offer an attractive benefits package:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Holiday purchase scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced maternity pay scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Wellbeing – locally payable fitness classes on-site and free fruit, local area walking & bike riding routes
- Flexible Working Arrangements scheme
- Discretionary performance related pay scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Are you ready to be a part of our continuous passion for innovation? …….
We welcome applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the UK. To check your status please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk
No Agencies Please.
IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CONTACTED WITHIN 4 WEEKS OF THE CLOSING DATE, YOU SHOULD ASSUME YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL.