What do we do?
From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to the coastline and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people. They design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: our oceans. We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
We have an opening for a Business Development Manager who will be able to achieve sustainable profitable growth for Sonardyne across multiple markets in Marine Autonomous Systems and Vehicles, through successful strategic direction and investment opportunities, focussed business development efforts, co-ordinated worldwide direct sales and marketing activities, integrated engineering and commercial collaboration, and dedication to exceeding customer expectations.
- To formulate, agree and communicate strategic objectives working from to deliver the 5-year Business Plan.
- Deliver market performance reports as an input to Sonardyne’s management and forecasting functions.
- Develop and implement effective sales and marketing strategies and literature for the designated sector.
- Lead interactions with key customers and enhance the reputation of Sonardyne in the designated sector.
- Work alongside the wider sales organisation promoting a sense of team spirit and motivation.
- Primarily a commercial role for development and implementation of business direction including detailed plans, technical knowledge and expertise is secondary but important to drive the development and direction of technology and plans.
- To formulate, agree and communicate strategic objectives. In collaboration with the Heads of Markets team, to be responsible for the vertical market segments.
- To develop, secure Board agreement and annually review detailed 5-year Business Plans.
- To define and develop new market opportunities for long-term growth.
- To identify and implement fully researched and business-plan-supported opportunities for internal and external investment to achieve market growth.
- To proactively manage and mitigate commercial and associated technical risks. Collaborate with Engineering Product Managers, contributing to product development strategy to ensure best product-market fit and desired business outcomes.
Market Sector Performance:
- To develop and agree an annual sales forecast in collaboration with regional sales teams and the Heads of Markets team.
- To review and report quarterly on progress against sales forecast, identifying variances and issues and developing remedial actions for implementation.
- To report commercial performance, including written Board Report submissions, Market Information Packs etc.
- To evaluate and report on ROI and commercial success/failures of market initiatives and product developments.
- To develop effective sales strategies and marketing initiatives in collaboration with regional sales management, sales teams, product managers and central marketing, to achieve designated Business Plan targets and objectives.
- To gather, analyse and communicate market intelligence data impacting the Business throughout the Company, including market size, emerging applications, technology requirements, competitor activities, product comparisons, pricing sensitivities etc.
- To ensure Regional sales teams and other Customer-facing staff are supplied with tools to maximise business success, consistency of message and Company image in the designated Market Sector including proposal templates, CRM reports, data sheets, presentations etc.
- To identify and implement where appropriate, strategies to manage multi-national Corporation purchasing arrangements and/or Partnership Agreements to facilitate a consistent Companywide approach.
Customer Relationship Management/ Fulfilment Management:
- To develop and maintain working business relationships with key individuals in Sonardyne’s top ten existing Customers in the designated sectors (as measured by sales revenue).
- To target and develop business relationships with key individuals within Sonardyne’s top five target Companies in the designated sectors (as defined by sales growth potential or long-term strategic importance).
- To enhance the reputation and profile of Sonardyne in the designated sectors, promoting the Company’s name, brand and capabilities through active networking and participation with trade bodies, institutions/societies etc, conference presentations, publication of papers and delivery of innovative targeted marketing initiatives.
- To develop and review business processes to ensure maximum customer fulfilment, including post-delivery follow up
- To provide direct assistance to the regional sales teams with sales proposals and advice on tactics for major/strategic impact sales activities.
- To provide global co-ordination of sales activities ensuring opportunities requiring international cooperation are handled professionally, efficiently and seamlessly with respect to the end customer.
- To route any potential commercial opportunities to the relevant direct sales teams for follow up and progress of sale
- To report and review designated sector business sales performance in conjunction with regional updates at the weekly Sales Meetings.
- To promote a sense of team spirit and motivation amongst staff directly and indirectly engaged in the designated sectors business activities to deliver beyond Sonardyne business expectations and customer requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent business experience. (Essential)
- A comprehensive understanding of subsea technology for marine autonomous systems and unmanned surface & underwater vehicles
- Proven experience of developing commercial market perspectives and creation of business
- Experience of defining and delivering outcomes of a Business Plan.
- Experience in successfully influencing across indirect resources and multi-disciplines to achieve Business Plan targets and objectives.
- Proven experience of applying business and commercial acumen to identify new business opportunities.
- Proven experience of technical business development.
- Proven experience of establishing and promoting a customer-orientated culture.
- Proven experience of building new, and maintaining existing, networks of effective business relationships within and external to the organisation.
- Experience of establishing personal and organisational level credibility and expertise at all business levels.
There are no limits to what you can achieve at Sonardyne. We have an open and innovative culture where every member of the team has a challenging role with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow. Every member of the team has the chance to influence and shape the future of our technology. In addition to mentoring, professional development and training, we actively promote hands-on experience of our solutions in the ocean environment.
We also like to have some fun, with a very active social group regularly laying on subsidised events. There are great pubs, running and cycling routes on the doorstep and other sports facilities nearby.
We keep our salaries competitive and offer our employees the following benefits package:
- 25 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – employees can buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Sickness Absence benefit plan with long term absence insurance cover
- Enhanced Maternity Pay Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements Scheme
- Discretionary Performance Related Pay Scheme, designed to recognise employees contribution to our success
Ready to join the team…? …then e-mail your CV and cover letter to the HR.TEAM@SONARDYNE.COM
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE.