Job Title: Acoustic Doppler Group Manager
Based: Blackbushe, Yateley, UK
Reporting to: Technical Director
Job Purpose: To understand and deliver Doppler technology solutions that meet the commercial requirements and manage the team through all stages of delivery.
1. To investigate and establish the functional requirements of Doppler technology and software related systems by liaising with customers, the business development teams, global sales teams, Engineering, Project Managers and Field Engineers in order to fully understand and accurately specify the developments using corporate templates.
2. To undertake cost centre management for the Doppler technology, including budget proposals and financial reporting to the Executive team.
3. To take responsibility for day to day management of the core team, tracking development feature request, targeting to release versions and prioritising development and testing.
4. To create and maintain documentation relevant to the design and development process, which will include: specifications, designs, test plans and release notes.
5. To participate in project reviews, Software Quality Assurance (SQA) reviews and to ensure any remedial actions are documented and completed in a timely manner.
6. To conduct and produce internal product and technology awareness training and documentation at regular intervals to keep the Sales and Business Development teams informed.
7. To resolve issues found with products or systems during internal or external testing, either by working autonomously or with members of other teams. Test failures must be accurately recorded in accordance with Company procedures.
8. To provide technical advice and guidance to customers regarding new and existing products. This may be via conference presentation, workshops or by telephone and will involve working to vessel schedules and customer timetables to meet demands.
9. To develop and maintain a detailed knowledge and understanding of multi-sector industrial developments in Doppler technology and provide the Executive team with investment proposals.
Core Company Responsibilities
1. To understand, apply and promote a ‘safety first’ culture, personally and amongst all direct reports, ensuring strict compliance with both Sonardyne and Customer policies, procedures and practices relating to Health, Safety and Environment, including the completion of risk assessments, workplace inspections, wearing of PPE, complying with Safe Working Instructions, undertaking training and communication, incident investigations and ensuring timely identification, escalation and resolution of any aspects that could adversely impact employees health & safety or others, as a result of Sonardyne work activities
2. To ensure awareness, understanding and adherence to all Company Policies and Procedures including Health & Safety, Anti Bribery, Code of Conduct/Ethics, ISO – QMS, Financial, Commercial, Operational and Employment related
3. To contribute to the Sonardyne continuous improvement process through the presentation of corrective actions, suggestions, or initiatives, focussed on increasing efficiency, productivity, technical advancement, customer satisfaction and employee morale etc within the Marketing team or Companywide
4. To maintain an update technical and professional job competencies (qualification, knowledge, and personal skills), through continuous personal development including formal training, self-directed learning, use of professional workshops, membership of professional bodies, literature reviews etc
5. To keep up to date with Company organisation and structure, technology, products, applications and customers, through attendance on training events, personal liaison with internal commercial, technical and business support staff and awareness of general Company internal communications
6. To establish, maintain and promote effective internal working relationships across the Company through the demonstration of positive two-way communications, planning, and collaborative working style
Dimensions and Scope of the Role:
Team: The core Doppler team comprises of the Group Manager, Senior Embedded Software Engineer, Embedded Software Engineer and Global Business Development person.
Customers: Oil and Gas, Water industry, Oceanographic
Travel: UK and International travel. In a typical year this may involve up to 10 offsite visits of 1 week internationally.
• Experienced user of Doppler technology in the field
• A good understanding of physical oceanography
• Educated to degree level i.e. BSc/BEng or equivalent qualification in a related discipline; such as Oceanography or Physics
• Educated to A Level or above in Maths
• Experience of development cycles for embedded software, including developing new novel applications from scratch.
• Analytical skill to understand the current profiles and customers’ needs
• Experience in the development of quality solutions to tight timescales
• Exposure to different development methodologies
• Project management skills
• Customer requirements management
• Relevant experience of developments for complex and technical challenging applications
• Development experience using Matlab
• Windows development experience (Visual Studio .NET; C#, Lua, etc.)
• Exposure to different development methodologies
• Embedded Webserver
• Personal drive and determination to achieve often against tight deadlines
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel
• Strong communicator both written and verbal
• Flexible approach
• Team player
• Highly motivated
• Good planning and organising skills, including work organisation e.g. prioritising and multi-tasking