From the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on earth, to surging shorelines and anywhere in-between, we make the impossible possible through our continuous passion for innovation. That innovation comes from our greatest asset: our people.
Our people design, engineer and manufacture technologies that are enabling our customers to discover, navigate, measure, detect and communicate in the toughest environment on earth: Our oceans.
We’ve been actively developing the technology to make the oceans accessible for nearly 50 years and we’re only just getting started…
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Project Engineer to deliver engineering solutions to meet specific customer requirements using Sonardyne products or technologies with strict adherence to internal and Customer quality standards and timescales.
- Work with the Project Manager to identify requirements and create designs for customer solutions which may involve sourcing of new components, creation of drawings and evaluation of new equipment.
- Work with the Project Manager to produce project plans, budgets and reports for management and customers.
- Drive the timely production and delivery of customer solutions from the design stage through to the finished system including coordinating input from internal company resources across engineering, software development, production, sales, finance etc.
- Develop and undertake rigorous bench, in-water and environmental test procedures to validate the systems hardware, firmware and software elements.
- Identify and rectify faults from component through to system level using specialist internal resources where required.
- Ensure all Production, Test, EMD, problem reports and documentation is completed in compliance with internal Company procedures.
- Prepare, review and manage project documentation to individual customer requirements including manuals, manufacturing record books, interface specifications, handling procedures, storage procedures, test and inspection plans.
- Evaluate, monitor and manage risks, issues and changes, escalating as appropriate to keep the project on schedule.
- Represent the Company as a recognised technical authority throughout customer acceptance testing ensuring all issues are managed to the full satisfaction of the Customer.
- Provide the Customer with formal and informal system training.
- Install and commission the system at the Customer site or vessel with the assistance of a field engineer where required.
- Provide direct Customer support through email communication, phone support and where necessary site visits throughout the bespoke operational life.
Contacts and Communication
The role requires good communication skills at many levels. The post holder will deal directly with the following internal/external stakeholders:
- Fellow Design Engineers (Mechanical, Electronics, Software).
- Scientists and Survey staff.
- Operations and installation staff.
- Procurement and contracts staff.
- Other specialist groups such as Safety, Finance, Building Services etc.
- End Customers, sub-contractors (internally and externally located).
- External engineering consultancies.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge and use of standard lab testing equipment including Oscilloscopes and DVMs.
- Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel.
- Proven background in engineering design or project/product launch or implementation.
- Degree in an Engineering discipline (Electronics, Systems, Communications, Software or similar.
- Good inter-personal skills, particularly in communication
- Good people management skills
- Very high level of drive, motivation, enthusiasm and focus on achieving goals.
- Focus on delivering working, high quality solutions to meet the project objectives.
- Organised approach to complex problems.
- Strong ability to think creatively, seek and accept change and want continuous improvement.
- Awareness of software or embedded software development.
- Awareness of analogue or digital electronics development.
- Commercial awareness, understanding of ‘Business Case’, profit etc.